Yocto BSP3.0 - package-management not deploying Packages.gz

Hi

I would like to use a package feed server to provide an easy package update facility. With Yocto/opkg this should be straight forward to setup. Also, you have already set corresponding variables in local.conf per default:

PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_ipk"
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks package-management"

Unfortunately, the package meta data (Packages.gz) is somehow not deployed. Do you have any idea why this might not work?

Thanks and best regards,

Tonio

Hi Tonio

Could you share the changes you have done to local.conf and other files?

Which OpenEmbeded branch are you compiling?

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi @jaski.tx

Not much changes in local.conf actually:

• different default MACHINE set
  • different DL_DIR
  • different SSTATE_DIR
  • different TMPDIR
  • different DEPLOY_DIR
  • include conf/machine/include/${MACHINE}-extra.inc
  • ACCEPT_FSL_EULA = "1"
  • VOLATILE_LOG_DIR = "no"
  • INHERIT+="toaster buildhistory"
  • added some recipes to IMAGE_INSTALL_append

I am on refs/tags/Colibri-iMX6ULL_Console-Image_3.0b2.65-20190830.

I added my own meta-…-bsp layer with some u-boot and kernel device-tree changes and my own distro layer (not using meta-toradex-distro), but I have not changed anything related to the package-management.

Is the package meta data (Package.gz) been deployed in your Yocto setup?

Best regards,

Tonio

Hi @tgsell

Thanks for the files. I will try to reproduce this on my side and come back to you next week.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi @tgsell

I can reproduce the issue. I am looking now for a solution. I will let you know once I found this.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi @jaski.tx

Thanks for your update. Looking forward to your findings.

Best regards,
Tonio

Hi @tgsell

The package.gz were given by layers/meta-angstrom/recipes-angstrom/angstrom/angstrom-feed-configs.bb in the LinuxImageV2.8 repo.

You would need to add this layer and/or recipes to the custom recipe or local.conf.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi @jaski.tx

This seems strange to me. As far as I know, the package-management feature is provided by Yocto and has nothing to do with the Angstrom distro. I am also using another Yocto/Openembedded setup for another SoM (not from Toradex), where package.gz is been deployed flawlessly (not using Angstrom at all).

Best regards,
Tonio

Hi Tonio,
I know that the package management comes from yocto, but package.gz is part of the feeds, which comes from the angstrom server. Which package type are you using for the other setup?

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi @jaski.tx

I am also using PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_ipk".

Best regards,
Tonio

Hi Tonio

Ok. And are the package.gz present there? Which distribution are you using?

Best regards,
Jaski

There I am using DISTRO = "fslc-framebuffer" and yes, package.gz is present.

Thanks for this Information. Could you provide a link to this distro?

Please share also your bblayers.conf and local.conf.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi @jaski.tx

It is from one of your competitors… I can only provide you with the following link to their wiki. In this project we are using var-som-mx6 on sumo.

Best regards,
Tonio

@jaski.tx do you have any news on this?

This is rather important for us (and probably also for others).

Thanks.

Hi Tonio

No, unfortunately I did not have time to look into this? I will answer you within this week.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi Tonio

For getting the Packages.gz, you need launch bitbake package-index after building the image.

Best regards,
Jaski

@jaski.tx perfect, that’s it. Thanks.

Do you know, how this can be added/automated for each build?

Yes, just run the command after each build.

Sure ; ) that’s obviously a possibility. I rather meant, how to directly incorporate it into the first build command. That is how it normally works with other Poky based distros.