Verdin Development Board Serial Debug Port

As described here

Verdin has an integrated Serial-to-USB converter that lists 4 serial ports on your computer. The highest index is the Linux serial console. Example, if you see /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1, /dev/ttyUSB2 and /dev/ttyUSB3 listed, then /dev/ttyUSB3 is the serial console.

This explains which is Linux serial console (/dev/ttyUSB3), but it’s not clear which is Cortex-M serial port (it should be uart_4 peripheral).
Moreover, opening a temrinal on ttyUSB0 resets the device (as described here) and so I suppose that this is either the FDTI JTAG or FTDI GPIO.

Is it possible to have a list of what are all the other ports /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1 and /dev/ttyUSB2?

Thanks

Hello @vix ,
Here you can download the data sheet of the Verdin development board:

In Section 2.21 ( USB Debugger) you have listed the functions of the ports in the USB hub

Best regards,
Josep

Hello @josep.tx
thanks a lot.
The datasheed describes very well the functions of the 4 ports.

Is it ok if I assume that from the development PC this is the list?

• /dev/ttyUSB0 is 4xGPIO
  • /dev/ttyUSB1 is JTAG
  • /dev/ttyUSB2 is Cortex-M UART
  • /dev/ttyUSB3 is Cortex-A UART

Hello @vix ,

Yes, that is correct.

Best regards,
Josep

1 Like

Hello @josep.tx
Only one suggestion from my side (not sure if it’s general, or it applies to Verdin only).
All the examples on this page refer to /dev/ttyUSB0 but if you do this, the device reboots (because /dev/ttyUSB0 is connected to the GPIOs to control the target).

I would suggest changing the examples, referring to /dev/ttyUSB3 (which is Cortex-A debug UART).

Hello @vix ,
Thanks for your suggestion, I will pass it to the developer webpage team.

Best regards,
Josep

Hello @vix ,

I reopen this topic to note that this behavior is documented here:

Best regards,
Josep