Adding groups on Torizon image

Hi @bw908 ,

Namely, I unpacked the output tar.zst in my output directory, and if I browse down to ostree/deploy/torizon/deploy/[commit hash]/etc/ and open the group file, I can see the groups are present.

Great, it is a good way to verify your custom image. With this I don’t think the issue is related to your image.

So it is getting applied to the actual image - which confirms the build environment is set up correctly and the change should be present. yet I’ve done numerous images unpack output and deploy calls and they have not materialized - the files stubbornly stay empty of my new entries.

I was able to reproduce your issue when deploying the image through SSH via torizoncore-builder deploy and at least in this situation I have a possible explanation for it.

The reason is due to how OSTree, the program responsible for versioning/deploying the images, works: If a tracked file in /etc is modified in relation to its counterpart in /usr/etc, OSTree will not change it, even if the update has a newer version of it, as said here: Atomic Upgrades | ostreedev/ostree

/usr/etc is the “default configuration” of the image, and OSTree uses it as a point of reference to track any changes made in /etc.

In particular /etc/group and /etc/gshadow are modified when first logging in on a new TorizonCore install, so unless you undo the modifications these two files won’t be affected by any updates made using torizoncore-builder deploy.

This shouldn’t happen when installing the image through TEZI though, as OSTree versioning is reset.

I suggest you try the following:

• Install a vanilla TorizonCore image via TEZI on your module, version should be the same you used for the custom image;

• Login as user torizon, then check the differences between /etc and /usr/etc with:

sudo ostree admin config-diff

group and gshadow should be marked with ‘M’, meaning they are modified in relation to /usr/etc.

sudo rsync -avh /usr/etc/ /etc/ --delete

This command will also reset the torizon user password to torizon.

• Check again with sudo ostree admin config-diff. There should be no output, or at the very least group and gshadow should not be present.

• On your host machine deploy your custom image that has the modified /etc/group and /etc/gshadow:

torizoncore-builder images unpack <your custom image directory>
torizoncore-builder union <branch name, can be anything>
torizoncore-builder deploy <branch name> --remote-host <SoM IP> --reboot
  • After the module finishes rebooting, login again (remember that the password has been reset to torizon)

• All changes should be present on the image.

See if this helps you.

Best regards,
Lucas Akira