4G Modem for Verdim Development Board

Hello,

I would like to know which 4G module you used for the validation of the Verdin Development Board, and if it is present on the Toradex Embedded Linux Reference Multimidia Image for V1.1 SoM and Carrier Board (5.2.0+build.7 (2021-04-08)).

As our modem is going through its end-of-life period, we are thinking of moving away from the one we are using (SIM7600 - it supports wireless communication modes of LTE-TDD/LTE-FDD/HSPA+/GSM/GPRS/EDGE) and selecting another one. Maybe it could be a good idea at looking at the one you used, evaluate it and check if it is good for our needs.

Best regards,
Adrian

Hi Adrian and Welcome to the Toradex Community!

We did not use any 4G module to validate Verdin Development Board.
Which interface (USB/PCIe) do you intend to use for the 4G module on Verdin Development Booard?

As our modem is going through its end-of-life period, we are thinking of moving away from the one we are using (SIM7600 - it supports wireless communication modes of LTE-TDD/LTE-FDD/HSPA+

We don’t have experience with this module but it seems there is good driver support. So you should try this out.

Best regards,
Jaski

For a list of Modems we or our customers tested please see also: Cellular Modem on Toradex Computer on Modules | Toradex Developer Center

Hello Jaski,

Thank you for your answers.

SIM7600 is a PCIe module that exposes USB, UART and I2C interfaces. In our case we are interested in the USB part.

What we need is that this USB is interfaced with NDIS so as to expose, for example, a device “wwan0” when we do an “ifconfig” or an “ip add”.

For what I can see is that I am able to access the modem directly from the USB interface. I can send AT commands. The trouble is when it comes to access it as if it was an ethernet NIC, for example.

My original question was to know if there was a PCIe 4G module that was already supported by your linux images and we could use it out-of-the-box as if it was an ethernet NIC, for example.

Regards,
Adrian

The exact shown interface will depends on the modem, there are some modems, where you might to change the mode. A list of cellular modems tested with Toradex modules, you can find in the post above.