[Yocto] ColibriT20 image with Qt5 with and without X11

Hi all,

I would need to generate an image using Yocto for a Colibri T20 board in order to run Qt5 (at least Qt5.5) applications.

Before getting into the recipes, I would like to know:

1. Is it possible to run Qt5 app on T20 using eglfs (wihout X11 or Wayland) ?
  2. If not, is it complicated to have an image with Qt5 and X11 ? I have currently a custom core-image-x11 (with gtk+3 installed). Can I generate a dedicated version of Qt for this configuration ?

Karim

Is it possible to run Qt5 app on T20 using eglfs (wihout X11 or Wayland) ?

No, with NVIDIA’s public Linux4Tegra aka L4T stack our BSPs are based on this is unfortunately not possible.

If not, is it complicated to have an image with Qt5 and X11 ?

No, not at all. Please have a look at the following article on our developer website plus consider using the following bitbake target.

I have currently a custom core-image-x11 (with gtk+3 installed). Can I generate a dedicated version of Qt for this configuration ?

While GTK+ and Qt are two competing graphical UI stacks one could of course build an image which would support both and therefore allow running both types of applications. I guess either you extend your current core-image-x11 to include Qt 5 as well or you start off using our angstrom-qt5-x11 variant and add gtk+3 on top of it.

@marcel.tx

Thanks for your feedback.
I started following the first article. I just wanted to add support to Qt5 using my custom image recipe (core-image.kts.bb) as follow:

SUMMARY = "A core-image based image with X11 support and gtk3 "

LICENSE = "MIT"

inherit core-image distro_features_check

IMAGE_FEATURES_append = " splash package-management ssh-server-dropbear x11-base"

REQUIRED_DISTRO_FEATURES = " x11 opengl"

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " glibc-staticdev libstdc++ gtk+3  xinput-calibrator "

**IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " qtbase qtbase-fonts qtbase-plugins qt5-x11-free-systemd cinematicexperience** "

For this purpose, I have just added the last line.
I launched bitbake -k core-image-kts

But I get the following errors and I don’t know howx to get rid of them.

ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'qtbase-fonts' (but /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-pga/recipes-core/images/core-image-kts.bb RDEPENDS on or otherwise requires it)
Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['qtbase-fonts']
ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'qt5-x11-free-systemd' (but /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-pga/recipes-core/images/core-image-kts.bb RDEPENDS on or otherwise requires it)
Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['qt5-x11-free-systemd']
ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'core-image-kts'
ERROR: No eligible RPROVIDERs exist for 'core-image-kts'

What’s wrong in the recipe?

For information, the bblayer.conf looks like:

BBLAYERS ?= " \
  /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta \
  /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-yocto \
  /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-yocto-bsp \
  /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-toradex-bsp-common \
  /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-toradex-tegra \
  /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-jetson-tk1 \
  /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-pga \
  /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-openembedded/meta-oe \
  /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-openembedded/meta-ruby \
  /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-openembedded/meta-multimedia \
  /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-openembedded/meta-systemd \
  /home/kai/yocto/poky-toradex/meta-qt5 \
  "

Hi Karim

qt5-x11-free-systemd is provided from a recipe in meta-toradex-demos. It does start X and a Qt5 demo application.

So you either have to drop that package from your image recipe, copy it into your layer, or add meta-toradex-demos to your setup.

Max

Yes indeed. But if I remove qt5-x11-free-systemd package…
I still have an error with qtbase-fonts.