Windows CE8 Debugging over USB

I am using the Colibri iMX6 SOM in an application that is targeted to run on custom hardware. The hardware will not have ethernet, so I need to be able to debug applications over USB in the near future. I haven’t been able to find any resources on the Toradex documentation and community support pages.

How do I enable USB debugging for the Windows CE8 operating system? I can’t see any options in the Colibri iMX6 Visual Studio Platform Builder Workspace from Toradex (other than USB driver support, which would obviously be a prerequisite for USB debugging).

I have done debugging WEC7 with an USB ethernet adapter with chip AX88772b. There are drivers for WEC7 and for WEC2013 available on Asix homepage.
Such USB to ethernet adapters cost about 5 Euros. Please be careful to get one with exactly this chip.

Microsoft dropped ActiveSync support in CE8, therefore we cannot offer USB debugging. Using an external Ethernet adapter as Frax222 suggested is the way to go.

If you have troubles getting the AX88772B driver we could help you, as we use the same chip on other modules like the Colibri T20.

The following instructions for enabling USB debugging were provided to our team:

1. Boot the device
  2. Open Registry Editor (Start->Programs->ColibriTools->RegEdit)
  3. Open [HKLM\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers]. Change the value of “DefaultClientDriver” and set it to the value 4) “RNDIS”. Save the registry and reboot the device.
    After that you should have 2 network devices and you can configure a static IP on the PC and WinCE device.

We also found that we had to create a rule in Windows Firewall on our Windows 7 PC to allow the target to communicate with the PC. Without this pass through in the firewall, pings from the target to the PC over the RNDIS interface were unsuccessful.

The following instructions for enabling USB debugging were provided to our team:

1. Boot the device
  2. Open Registry Editor (Start->Programs->ColibriTools->RegEdit)
  3. Open [HKLM\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers]. Change the value of “DefaultClientDriver” and set it to the value
  4. “RNDIS”. Save the registry and reboot the device.

After that you should have 2 network devices and you can configure a static IP on the PC and WinCE device.

We also found that we had to create a rule in Windows Firewall on our Windows 7 PC to allow the target to communicate with the PC. Without this pass through in the firewall, pings from the target to the PC over the RNDIS interface were unsuccessful.

We provide also some CAB installers for the ASIX AX88772B on our developer website. You can fetch them from here.

Can anybody send me link from where can i purchase the the authentic USB ethernet adapter with chip AX88772b. Because, last week i purchased USB ethernet adapter with chip AX88772b from Amazon and installed driver for my WEC8 image version 1.2. from here Ethernet (WinCE) | Toradex Developer Center . But it is not detecting the ethernet, it is working with Windows 7 and Windows 10 but not with WEC2013. I beleieve that i had not purchsed the right one may be.

We have tested this wiht the official Asix Demo Board which is descirbed on this page: ASIX Electronics Corporation .

If you don’t need the Ethernet Port for your application, we recommend the internal Ethernet controller. An other option is the internal USB / RNDIS driver. If you are running image 1.3b2 and later you can modify the registry to use RNDIS as default USB function and allow the Debuger client to use the RDNIS interface (CheckAdapterName=0).

The RDNIS option we did not test recently.