Why do you use PV_append = "+git${SRCPV}" in meta-toradex-nxp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-toradex_4.9-1.0.x.bb?

Up to BSP v2.7 I could append to your bitbake recipes like this:

In meta-pe-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-toradex_4.1-2.0.x.bbappend I had:

SRC_URI_append_mx6 = " file://nxp_eim_bus_driver.patch"
FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}-${PV}:"

and my patch was placed in meta-pe-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-toradex-4.1-2.0.x/nxp_eim_bus_driver.patch

Now with BSP v2.8 bitbake is looking in meta-pe-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-toradex-4.9-1.0.x+gitAUTOINC+b2a7f2f2fd because in meta-toradex-nxp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-toradex_4.9-1.0.x.bb you are changing PV with PV_append = "+git${SRCPV}".

The old way is working if I comment out the corresponding line in meta-toradex-nxp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-toradex_4.9-1.0.x.bb. And of course I have to place the patch into meta-pe-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-toradex-4.9-1.0.x/ and rename my recipe to meta-pe-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-toradex_4.9-1.0.x.bbappend.

Why are you changing PV? And what is the clean way to append to your bitbake recipe?

Hi

Why are you changing PV?

This helps to get the git version in several places of the bitbake build output. It clarifies what one talks about.
Also we unified how this has been done among our various kernels recipes.

And what is the clean way to append to your bitbake recipe?

Do not use ${PV} to specify your additional path to look for files, I would even drop ${PV}, e.g. assuming you have your additonal file(s) in a subdirectory “linux-toradex-4.9-1.0.x” use:

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/linux-toradex-4.9-1.0.x"

The fact that you have to rename the *.bbappend has nothing to do with our new way of setting PV.
That rename is caused by the rename of “linux-toradex-4.1-2.0.x.bb” to “linux-toradex_4.9-1.0.x.bb”. This we did because we changed the kernel 4.1 to 4.9 which clearly mandates the version string change.

Note that technically you can use the wildcard character % in the bbappend filename to match several bb filename versions. That way you do not need to change anything if your bbappend content is still doing what it should but it increases your risk that you do not notice that you actually have to forward port your changes to the recipe due to recipe update.

e.g. the following bbappend filename would match the 4.1 and the 4.9 kernel recipe. Note that I do NOT recommend doing this for the kernel recipe:

linux-toradex_4.%.bbappend

Max