What is the pyside6 status

Hi.

I understand that Toradex is planning to add support for PySide6. Is there any info available when that might happen? Is there any way to track the status of this?

Thank you.

Hi @borco !

Welcome to Toradex Community! :tada: :partying_face:

Please feel free to browse around :slight_smile:

There is a discussion in the repositories for Torizon IDE Templates repository exactly about your question:

As you can see from there, in summary, there is no package in Debian for it right now. Not to mention the discussion about the license.

Do you have requirements for PySide6? It would be great if you could elaborate on your needs :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

We are in the planning phase of a new project right now and we are checking the available options.

We have a couple of projects using PyQt5, but this being a new project we were thinking of doing it in PySide6, if possible.

The new app we want to do should be able to run a single full screen window on a monitor attached over a HDMI cable and play some audio on a speaker. We were originally thinking to use Qt with a framebuffer, without Wayland or X.

Is it difficult to make a framebuffer Qt app? Is it worth trying to use a framebuffer instead of using Wayland? How much resources would Wayland use compared with running the app directly on the framebuffer?

Do you have templates for PyQt5? Or only for PySide2?

Is there any documentation on how to develop without having direct access to the hardware? Like how to set up a virtual machine for testing, for example?

Thank you.

Hi @borco !

On Toradex BSP 5 and 6 (based on NXP’s release Linux 5.4 and 5.15, respectively), frame buffer is supported only on i.MX6 and i.MX7. On i.MX8 family, only wayland is supported. On Wayland, we have enabled the XWayland (and X server implementation on Wayland), so there is still (some) support for X-based applications (X client)
So, depending on the hardware, there is no NXP support for framebuffer.

Please refer to NXP documentation for further details:

Also, after asking internally, I was informed that the Qt FB backend (LinuxFB) is deprecated. EGLFSKMS is recommended if Wayland is not desirable.

Torizon’s Qt container has support enabled for this already by using the environment variable QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs, which gives you a compositor-less Qt app (so Weston is not needed). Just like Torizon OS’s Weston container, this also takes advantage of hardware acceleration, if available.

I can’t say for sure. But I would not expect a difference. We have several customers using Wayland (specifically Weston) and it is suitable.
From this, I would ask: how sensible is the resource usage for your project?

For now, we have only PySide2.

You can start programming on Torizon IDE’s extension for VS Code without the hardware. Having the hardware is not mandatory to get started with it.

If you would like to try, there is Qemu support on meta-toradex-torizon: https://github.com/toradex/meta-toradex-torizon/tree/kirkstone-6.x.y/conf/machine/include

Unfortunately, I have never used it myself and there is no documentation for it but, if you need it, it might help you.

Best regards,

1 Like

Great answers. Thank you.

No problem :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!