WEC2013 direct update to Torizon OS

Hello,
I was wondering if there is a way to update WEC2013 directly to the Torizon OS? In my case, it would be good, because in our system the Apalis module only has a network connection, USB and serial ports are not available on our hardware. I didn’t find such an option, would this even be theoretically possible? For example, I am thinking of a WEC2013 program that receives the data via a network and loads it into the flash.
Thank you.

Greetings @vigh.balazs,

Could you clarify what you mean by “direct update”? Are you expecting to be able to just go from WinCE to Torizon OS with minimal re-basing and migration work?

Perhaps you can describe what your expectations are and then we can clarify as best as we can.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

1 Like

We used WEC2013 operating system until now, but we want to change to torizon. There is no problem with this for a new installation. However, on our existing devices, where WEC2013 is currently running, the only way to replace the system with Torizon is to remove the Apalis module from the device (since it can only be accessed via a network, USB/serial port is not available), insert it into a development board, and then install the Easy installer and with this we install the Torizon image, then put the module back into the device. By direct update, I mean whether the use of the easy installer can be omitted, and the wec2013 system can be overwritten directly with Torizon system, so that only network communication is possible?

By direct update, I mean whether the use of the easy installer can be omitted, and the wec2013 system can be overwritten directly with Torizon system, so that only network communication is possible?

I see. Unfortunately, our only supported method to flash our Linux-based image is with Toradex Easy Installer. Trying to do this without it would be quite difficult. I don’t want to say impossible but, I’m not sure of any method.

There was a proof of concept we made for another customer before that involved loading U-Boot with the Update Tool then using U-Boot to load Easy Installer. However this involved a USB drive to load Easy Installer off of, which isn’t possible in your case.

U-boot could theoretically load Easy Installer off network with something like this: Boot from a TFTP/NFS Server | Toradex Developer Center

Though I don’t believe anyone has tried this yet. This also seems to require running some commands in U-Boot and the only way to access the U-Boot console is via serial debug connection.

Unfortunately, the setup of your hardware greatly limits what we can do here.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

While it’s theoretically possible, it would require a significant amount of effort. Essentially, you’d need to replicate the functionality of the Toradex Easy Installer on WinCE. This is particularly challenging given that WinCE does not natively support filesystems like EXT3/4, which the Easy Installer is need to handle.

All right. That’s what I wanted to know. Thank you for your answers.

Glad we were able to provide some assistance.