Vybrid Colibri VF50 - Serial number change

Dear all,
I have to replace one Vybrid VF50 module with another which was identified by serial number.
Previously I used PXA300 modules and if something wrong happened I could replace it and changed the serial number with colibri tweak tool, however VF50 is not supported by colibri tweak.
Is there any way to change VF50 module’s serial number?
Thanks,
Marton

Dear @martkiss

In general we don’t recommend to change the module’s serial number - you loose the link to the Toradex tracking information (well, the original serial number is still available on the paper label), and you generate potential network issues: the serial number is part of the MAC address, and if you connect two devices with identical MAC address (identical serial number) into the same network, they cannot communicate properly anymore.

You can use the ConfigBlock Editor, or the serial port command line in the bootloader to change the module’s serial number.
The serial number is stored in the field mac.cid.

Regards, Andy

Thank you for the quick reply.
I tried to change the mac.cid with Config Block Editor tool, however it does not save the given value…
I tried to get in the bootloader menu (for executing the commands manually) with hitting “space” but it wont stop loading the WinCE. I have 4.5 version bootloader.
With other VF50 card stops at the bootloader when hitting space, is there other way to get into the bootloader menu with VF50 bootloader version 4.5 ?
Thanks,
Marton

Dear @martkiss

After talking to the Vybrid BSP developer I have to revise my first answer:

• On the VFxx modules, the ConfigBlock editor does not support to change the serial number.
  • Also in the bootloader, the VFxx requires a slightly different procedure. The commands to enter are:
    eraseflash 0 128kb
    y
    restorefactoryinfo vf50128 01234567 1.2A
    where 01234567 is the module’s serial number, and V1.2A the hardware version. Both numbers are printed on the module’s barcode label.

Entering the bootloader command line

I assume you are using bootloader version V4.5 on the PXA300 modules. On the VFxx modules, the latest available bootloader version is V.6b4.
The most obvious reason for not being able to enter the bootloader is the baud rate. The PXA300 was outputting at 9600 bps by default, while the VFxx modules default to 115200 bps. So please make sure your terminal program is configured to 115200 bps.

Regards, Andy

I got into the bootloader menu and give the above mentioned commands, after restart the Vf50 is not booting…
What can be the problem?

Dear @martkiss

Did you adjust the hardware information to your actual system? (The command I stated is valid for a Colibri VF50 128MB V1.2A).
I’m afraid you will need to got through the recovery procedure to make your module working again. The details are explained in the following article:

Regards, Andy

Dear @martkiss
Older CPUs, such as the PXA300, don’t have a recovery mechanism built into the boot ROM.
If the bootloader is not accessible anymore (serial port 9600 baud), you need a JTAG adapter to get it up and running again.
Regards, Andy

I have this type of adapter:

This can work?

Dear @martkiss

You’re lucky, that’s exactly the adapter we support.

Please refer to the Colibri Loader documentation for instructions how to re-flash the bootloader.

The JTAG signals are not on the regular SODIMM pins. Make sure you read the JTAG article about how to setup your hardware properly.

Regards, Andy

Ufff, Im trying to change 2 cards serials, one was PXA300, and unfortunately executed the VF50 commands on it…
Is there any way to restore? The last linked method is working in this case too?
Thanks,
Marton