VS2008 not working on Windows 10

I’ve put a fresh install of VS2008 with SP 1 and the most recent updates onto a fully patched version of Windows 10, and it crashes with no error message as soon as I load a WinCE 5.0 C++ project. The same thing happens whether I import an existing project (from VS2005) or create a new project for Colibri CE500. It also crashes with no error message if I click on Help->About.

I’ve tried running VS2008 with devenv.exe /log but it doesn’t write anything about the crash. I’ve tried to compile the solution on the command line and it fails. Any advice would be welcome!

Dear @steve274,

Thank you for contacting support. Could you please try this config section, please add the entry in the WCE.VCPlatform.config

Let us know if it not solving the issue.

Thanks @raja.tx, I had updated WCE.VCPlatform.config before without success. I can now open the solution but the conversion from VS2005 gives the error:

This operation could not be performed as the information about the specified platform could not be found in the datastore. Please install the corresponding SDK and try again. Platform : 04C93F17-0F18-45DE-A0B5-CF4D71136078

Dear @steve274,

Maybe SDK is not installed completely. Could you please uninstall the SDK through appwiz.cpl and install again as described here and add that entry in the WCE.VCPlatform.config

Let me know if it is not solving the issue.

Thanks, @raja.tx. I have done that and also found that there is a tool to update the solution called UpdateSDKNames.exe.

I can now open the C++ projects within the solution but not the C# projects.

Edit: I’ve managed to get the C# projects to open by manually editing the .csproj files but VS2008 wouldn’t do an automatic upgrade from VS2005.

Dear @steve274,

Thanks for letting us know the progress.

Please feel free to contact us if you require any support in future.

Hi @raja.tx, I’ve installed .NET CF 2.0 SP 2, and the solution is now loading, but I am still seeing a warning

This project requires .NET Compact Framework v2.0, which is not installed on this machine.

Do I need to set anything else up?

Edit: I’ve also found that if I create a new .NET CF project, Toradex_CE500 is not an option, only Toradex_CE600.

Dear @steve274,

I’ve installed .NET CF 2.0 SP 2, and the solution is now loading, but I am still seeing a warning
This project requires .NET Compact Framework v2.0, which is not installed on this machine.

Can you able to build .NET Compact Framework v2.0 with Toradex_CE500 SDK and deploy on the Colibri device?

Do I need to set anything else up?

Edit: I’ve also found that if I create a new .NET CF project, Toradex_CE500 is not an option, only Toradex_CE600.

I am able to see the similar issue but we don’t have any workaround as of now. May I know the reason for why do you want to use WinCE5? Is it possible to use WinCE6? The WinCE6 support .NET Compact Framework v3.5.

VS2005 doesn’t work in Windows 10 so upgrading our PC OS has forced an IDE upgrade. We only wanted to upgrade the compiler and not spend time upgrading our embedded OS and .NET on a PXA270 which is now EOL. We just wanted to be able to make minor changes if necessary. I haven’t tried deploying yet.

Dear @steve274,

You can build .NET 2.0 application using Toradex_CE600 SDK(at the time creation of the project) and that can be deployable on the PXA320, WinCE5 module. I guess that should not create any problem.
Please feel free to contact us if you face any issue on this.