VF61 problem booting Linux

I have a VF61 module that will not boot Linux using my custom device tree file. If I use the standard Toradex vf610-colibri-evel-v3.dts device tree file it will boot Linux just fine. Before you blame the problem on a faulty custom device tree, I would like to point out that I have four other VF61 modules working perfectly with the same custom device tree file.

Here is the console output when I install and boot Linux using the Toradex device tree file. link text

Here is the console output when I install and boot Linux using my custom device tree file: link text

Once again, If I use a different VF61 module I can install and boot Linux perfectly using my custom device tree file. Why does it fail on only this one VF61 module?

Hi @irbsd

Thanks for writing to the Toradex Community!

Could you share the devicetree and your kernel config?

If I use a different VF61 module I can install and boot Linux perfectly using my custom device tree file. Why does it fail on only this one VF61 module?

Do all these modules have the same Hardware version?

Best regards,
Jaski

“If I use a different VF61 module I can install and boot Linux perfectly using my custom device tree file.”

Сould you please share a boot log of successful boot with a customized device tree?

Here is a boot log of a different (working) VF61 module being loaded with, and booting, Linux with the exact same custom device tree file that fails to boot on the problem VF61 module. Working VF61 boot log is here: link text

All five of my VF61 modules (four working and one not working) are labeled “Col VF61 256MB IT V1.2B”. I assume the V1.2B is the hardware version number.

I’m not sure what you mean by the kernel config, but I have not recompiled the kernel. I am using the Colibri-VF_Console-image_2.8.6 exactly as downloaded from the Toradex website.

My custom device tree file is based on vf610-colibri-eval-v3.dts. It is called vf610-colibri-eval-v3custom4d.dts. It compiles without error. Here is the top level source file: link text The includ files are identical to the include files in the original vf610-colibri-eval-v3.dts, and have not been modified.

Although the device tree has been modified for my custom carrier board, Linux with my custom device tree file will boot successfully on the Colibri Evaluation Board V3.2B (at least with the four VF61 modules that are working properly).

HI @irbsd

I compiled and flashed you device-tree on a VF61 which booted perfectly with the new device-tree. It could be that the hardware is damaged. In this case, we are sorry that you had this experience with our Hardware.

You could file up a RMA and give the link to this community thread as comment.

Thanks and best regards,
Jaski

I requested an RMA number and returned the defective VF61 module (serial number 08461436) for replacement. The replacement module arrived yesterday (serial number 06552949). I have been testing the replacement module. It has the same problem as the one I returned. If I use the standard Toradex vf610-colibri-eval-v3.dtb device tree file I can install Linux and it boots up fine. But if I use my custom device tree file vf610-colibri-eval-v3custom4d.dts I can install Linux, but the system will not boot. However, I still have several other VF61 modules that will boot up perfectly using my custom device tree file.

Here is what happens with the standard device tree file: link text

Here is what happens with my custom device tree file:link text

Note the serial number in both of the above console log files is 06552949. This is the serial number of the replacement VF61 module.

So nothing has changed. The replacement module fails in exactly the same way as the one I returned. What do I do now? Should I return this module and hope the next one I get works? Or is there some way we can get to the bottom of this problem.

I await your recommendation.

Hello? It has been 4 days, and still no response. To clarify, I am running Linux on my VF61 modules using a custom device tree file needed to support my custom hardware, including multiple serial ports, multiple SPI interfaces, and dual ethernet ports. I have a fair number of VF61 modules, and Linux boots and runs perfectly using my custom device tree, except for one problem VF61 module that will not boot up if I use my custom device tree. So as instructed, I requested an RMA number and returned the defective module for replacement. It took a while, but I finally received a replacement VF61 a few days ago (it has a different serial number), only to find that the replacement module fails in EXACTLY the same way as the one I returned. And now I can’t seem to get any response at all from Toradex. Please help me. I can’t tolerate a failure rate this high. Maybe Toradex would like to get their hands on my module and my device tree file and find the root cause of the failure? Maybe I just need to keep returning defective modules until I get one that works? What should I do?

I’ll try to run module with your device tree tomorrow. Could you please try to reflash one of your “good” module with your device tree meanwhile?

I’ve tested your custom device tree with a VF61 module you returned (s/n 0012120108461436). Linux boots successfully. Please see attached boot log.link text
Could you check your hardware?