VF50: always hangs in boot with empty registry

Hi,

Since we updated one of our VF50 modules it always hangs during boot. On the console I see the following:

Toradex Windows CE 7.0 1.5 for Vybrid Built Dec 18 2017
Registry - registry is empty.
Toradex Bootloader 1.5 for Vybrid Built Dec 18 2017
CPU  :  400 Mhz
Flash:  128 MB
RAM  :  128 MB
Colibri VF50 module version 1.2A Serial No.: 2917401

Press [SPACE] to enter Bootloader Menu

Initiating image launch in 0 seconds.
Loading OS Image
Done.
OEMLaunch 80004000
Windows CE Kernel for ARM (Thumb Enabled)

Toradex Windows CE 7.0 1.5 for Vybrid Built Dec 18 2017
Registry - registry is empty.

I can’t get it run again even when I flash the bootloader and the image again. The registry remains empty.
Is there something wrong with the flash or do I make a mistake?

Thanks for any help.

Dear @andreas

The message registry is empty is not an error. It indicates that the default registry is used, and you never saved any individual registry modifications to the flash. This is the default state when we ship a module.

However, the device should continue to boot. There are two concerns I would like to clarify first:

• The number of dots .... in the log output is less than I would expect. Did you shorten this for posting, or is it your real full debug output?
  • Did you try to let it boot for a few minutes? There are situations, where the flash needs a deep initialization which could take up to 5 minutes.

Regards, Andy

Hi Andy,
About the dots, yes I shorten them for the post. The device just doesn’t continue to boot after the log output “Registry - registry is empty.”
I let it time to boot for more than 20 minutes without reaction.
Is there something wrong with the flash?

I installed the release also on other modules and yes, the log output “Registry - registry is empty” is also there. So I think it is not the problem. It just doesn’t continue to boot.
After flashing the image I execute the command eraseflash filesystem so there should be set everything to default.

Regards,
Andreas

Hi @andreas
I currently don’t know what prevents the module from booting. Can you do the following test:

Regards, Andy

Hi Andy,
Unfortunately it didn’t change anything. I also reinstalled the bootloader and the image and set this partition setting again, but without success.
This situation with the nonbooting module started after trying to update one of our instruments. At customer side this means that the instrument is no longer usable.
The VF50 is a little bit warm so I think he might be in a loop for ever.

Hi Andreas
I’m afraid this looks like a permanent error. May I ask you to fill in the RMA form in order to get the module replaced:

Please mention this community post in the RMA comments field, otherwise we will probably ask you again to do the same tests. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards, Andy