Veridin IMX8M+ Mallow Carrier with VCIMX296 camera module

Hi there,
I am new to the Toradex & Torizon ecosystem and would like some help with compatibility for a Vision Components IMX290 MIPI module with the Mallow carrier board. I understand there is a library GitHub - pmliquify/vc_mipi_imx8mp: Vision Components MIPI CSI-2 driver for Toradex Verdin i.MX8M Plus, that contains a how to for the Dahlia board but would anyone know if this has worked previously? I have also looked in the datasheet and am confused about the 22-22pin FFC connect if you can directly connect the sensor and Mallow board?

I would love some help on this!

Kind regards,

Ben

Greetings @btj2,

Where exactly did you find this repository from? It doesn’t look like a official Toradex repository and it also doesn’t seem very well maintained. That said I don’t believe anyone in Toradex has tried this recently and we can’t guarantee if it works at all. You’re free to try it of course but that’s at your own risk.

I have also looked in the datasheet and am confused about the 22-22pin FFC connect if you can directly connect the sensor and Mallow board?

Depends on if the sensor’s connections line up with the connections on the mallow. You should check to make sure no pin gets connected to the wrong signal.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi Jeremias,

I obtained this repo from Vision Components directly. I am really just after some advice for incorporating this type of sensor and what is involved on the software and hardware side? i.e writing drivers, how it integrates into Torizoncore etc.

Kind regards,

Ben

Well looking at this repo it has a bunch of patches that need to be applied against the Linux kernel source. If the repo was a driver then you could integrate it using TorizonCore Builder. But this repo is essentially just a giant patch-set.

Unfortunately the only way you could probably cleanly integrate this is with a Yocto build of sorts that applies these patches. Though another issue is that it’s not clear what version of the kernel these patches are meant to apply against.

Is Vision Components able to provide some guidance regarding the integration here? In the end TorizonCore is just Linux, so integration of hardware doesn’t differ all that much from the usual.

Best Regards,
Jeremias