Verdin RGMII via High Speed Connector

Hi! I would like to route the Verdin RGMII signal through a High Speed connector to optional carrier boards that allows different options:

1. Single PHY like on the Verdin Development Board
  2. 7-Port Ethernet switch with DSA
  3. other custom configurations.

Would this be possible?
Thanks!

Hello relaxibus,

yes you can do this but you need to take care about the signal integrity and that you connector is made for signals in that frequency. So it is more a and thing of proper PCB and connector selection.

Best Regards,

Matthias

Ok thanks! Would be better to use the PHY and and to use the LAN connection between ETH1 and KZ switch? Do you have experience on to connect a KZ switch and to use DSA using I2C or SPI control?

Hello relaxibus,

there are also switches with an RGMII port and the rest are Phy ports.
I think I would prefare this way. But I dont have a validate schematic for that.

Best Regards,
Matthias

Hi Matthias, yes, but the question was if it would be better to go using uplink PHY instead of the RGMII through the board-to-board connector. At the end we decide to go via the PHY so we can switch between onboard ETH1 or routed to the application I/O board.

Hello can you get more specific on this or draw a quick block diagram that I know what you want.

Best Regards,

Matthias

We will put a LAN Switch between the PHY and the transformer, so we can switch between main board and application board. Thus will be done for ETH0 that supports TSN. ETH1 will stay on the main board only. A open question is if we can do a transformer less communication between the ETH0 PHY and the application board switch’s (e.g.KSZ8795CLX) PHY:

Hello relaxibus,

Ok so now I know what you want to do.
You have to check with microchip but yes it can be done to leave away the transformer it will then be coupled with capacitors. Check here with microchip they also offer a free LAN check.

Best Regards,’
Matthias