Verdin iMX8MP no HDMI output with any Reference Multimedia Image

tdx-info

Software summary
------------------------------------------------------------
Bootloader:               U-Boot
Kernel version:           5.15.148-6.6.0-6.6.0+git.23a8e831749d #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 29 20:25:21 UTC 2024
Kernel command line:      root=PARTUUID=f63b3043-02 ro rootwait console=tty1 console=ttymxc2,115200 consoleblank=0 earlycon
Distro name:              NAME="TDX Wayland with XWayland"
Distro version:           VERSION_ID=6.6.0-build.12
Distro variant:           -
Hostname:                 verdin-imx8mp-06817294

Hardware info
HW model:                 Toradex Verdin iMX8M Plus WB on Verdin Development Board
Toradex version:          0058 V1.0B
Serial number:            06817294
Processor arch:           aarch64

Additional hardware infos
Dahlia Carrier Board 1.0C
Verdin DSI to HDMI Adapter V1.0B

Problem
Don’t get any HDMI signal after image installation. I tried to install 6.0.0, 5.5.0 and three different types of monitors. I do get an hdmi signal with the Toradex Easy Installer but after image installation and reboot into the installed bsp there isn’t any hdmi output anymore.

Possible reason? How to fix this?

root@verdin-imx8mp:~# dmesg | grep dsi
[    0.316217] platform 32e80000.lcd-controller: Fixing up cyclic dependency with 32e60000.mipi_dsi
[    1.381657] i2c 3-0048: Fixing up cyclic dependency with 32e60000.mipi_dsi
[    5.824682] imx_sec_dsim_drv 32e60000.mipi_dsi: version number is 0x1060200
[    5.834029] [drm:drm_bridge_attach] *ERROR* failed to attach bridge /soc@0/bus@32c00000/mipi_dsi@32e60000 to encoder DSI-34: -517
[    5.845791] imx_sec_dsim_drv 32e60000.mipi_dsi: Failed to attach bridge: 32e60000.mipi_dsi
[    5.879161] imx_sec_dsim_drv 32e60000.mipi_dsi: failed to bind sec dsim bridge: -517
[    5.995168] imx_sec_dsim_drv 32e60000.mipi_dsi: version number is 0x1060200
[    6.039432] imx-drm display-subsystem: bound 32e60000.mipi_dsi (ops imx_sec_dsim_ops [sec_mipi_dsim_imx])

Hi, I’m the Toradex AI Assistant. I’m in early beta, and I would appreciate your feedback.
The Toradex Support team will follow up with you shortly!

Did you like my answer?

:+1: :-1:

Handshake,

Given the context of your issue with the Verdin iMX8M Plus not outputting HDMI signal after installing various reference multimedia images, despite the HDMI signal working with the Toradex Easy Installer, there are several steps and considerations to address this problem.

1. Check Device Tree Overlays: Since the HDMI output is working with the Toradex Easy Installer, this suggests that the hardware setup is capable of outputting an HDMI signal. The issue likely lies within the software configuration, particularly with the Device Tree Overlays. Ensure that the correct Device Tree Overlay for the Verdin DSI to HDMI Adapter V1.0B is enabled. This involves editing the overlays.txt file on the /boot partition to include the HDMI overlay and exclude any that might conflict with it.

2. Verify Kernel Configuration: The kernel version you’re using (5.15.148-6.6.0-6.6.0+git.23a8e831749d) should support HDMI output for your setup. However, it’s crucial to ensure that the kernel configuration (enabled either by default or through overlays) supports the HDMI output through the DSI to HDMI adapter. This can involve checking for the correct drivers and support for the Lontium LT8912, which is commonly used in DSI to HDMI adapters.

3. Review Boot Logs: Inspect the boot logs for any errors or warnings related to HDMI, DSI, or the display adapter. This can provide clues on whether the Device Tree Overlay is correctly applied or if there are driver issues. You can access the boot logs by connecting to the serial console of the Verdin Development Board and observing the output during boot.

4. Software Configuration: Ensure that your system’s software configuration is set up to output to HDMI. This includes checking the Weston or XWayland configuration if you’re using a Wayland-based environment. Sometimes, the display server configuration needs to be adjusted to recognize and use the HDMI output correctly.

5. Hardware Re-Verification: Although the HDMI output works with the Easy Installer, it’s still a good practice to re-verify the hardware connections, especially the DSI to HDMI adapter and the HDMI cable, after installing the new image. This is to rule out any connection issues that might have been inadvertently introduced.

6. Fallback to Known Good State: If possible, try reverting to a known good software state where HDMI output was functional, and methodically update or change configurations to identify what might

Please, also check if these links can help you solve your problem:

Display Output, Resolution and Timings (Linux) | Toradex Developer Center.

I already solved my problem by setting the vidargs variable in u-boot. Following this solution: Verdin DSI to HDMI Adaptor - #11 by developer0916