Verdin board is restarting by itself

Dear Support,

I hope everything goes well for you.

We have been working on the imx8 mini using a Verdin development boar v1.1.c

After adding the Toradex extension to Visual Studio, I tried to connect the board through the network. After setting IP and password in the VS code, the Verdin board restarts by itself every 10 sec.
I was wondering if I needed to reflash it.
on the VS side there is Error:
Error (533) - SSH error: SSH session not active
Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad, how are you?

Can you confirm to us the following?

• What is the exact version of your Verdin Module?
  • What is the output of uname -a?
  • If the board is not connected to the Extension does the same behaviour occurs?
  • Also, which version of VS Code and of the Torizon Extension are you using?
  • Do you have the serial connection enabled and you can see the board restarting?

Best regards,

Hi @gclaudino.tx ,
How are you doing? Thank you for your time

• What is the exact version of your Verdin Module? V1.1C dev board and V1.1B SOM
  • What is the output of uname -a? I can not check it because in 10 seconds I can not set the password by ssh in the putty.
  • If the board is not connected to the Extension does the same behaviour occurs? never
  • Also, which version of VS Code and of the Torizon Extension are you using? Toradex Torizon Support
    v1.5.1
  • Do you have the serial connection enabled and you can see the board restarting? I tried and it shows some syntax [Starting kernel …]and after 10 seconds again restarted
    Maybe the text below can help
    comport.txt (11.2 KB)

also [10.50.49.95:8840/#!/1/docker/containers] The portainer page is not working.
also when ethernet and type c cable are not connected this reset happen as well

This reset also occurs when ethernet and type C cables are not connected.
The red LED [reset led] turns on and all the leads blink and everything resets.

Thanks for the update!

• Which TorizonCore version are you using? Does it have the Preempt_RT Patches?
  • Is this a customized image? If so, what are the changes that you have made and how?
  • Did you change anything on the jumpers inside the Development Board?
  • Did you test the module on another board to see if the same behaviour happens?

Best regards,

After 10 seconds, it reset by itself and I was fast enough to check the system information :slight_smile:
torizon@verdin-imx8mm-07022050:~$ uname -a
Linux verdin-imx8mm-07022050 5.4.193-rt74-5.7.0-devel+git.90bfeac00dbe #1-TorizonCore SMP PREEMPT_RT Tue Jun 7 13:58:03 UTC 2022 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

There is no new customized image, just the hello world image, and we checked the LEDs and SPI lines, we didn’t change any jumpers, and I tried with a new SOM and it didn’t restart like before, but the old SOM has issues when I double checked it

Thanks.

Hi again!

Thanks for the update @Mehrdad!

There are some known issues with the PREEMPT_RT Image for TorizonCore. Do you need the features of the PREEMPT_RT patch?

Could you please test with a TorizonCore image without PREEMPT_RT and check how your module behaves?

Best regards,

Hi @gclaudino.tx ,
I really appreciate your help and your time.
I need to ask my colleagues about the PREEMPT_RT patch,
It is a good idea to test it without the PREEMPT_RT patch, but unfortunately, I don’t know how to remove it. :frowning:
Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad,

To remove it you can simply download an image without it and load it to your module. Toradex Download Links (Torizon, Linux BSP, WinCE and Partner Demos) | Toradex Developer Center

Best regards,

Hi @Mehrdad !

Were you able to test the image without PREEMPT_RT patch?

Best regards,

Hi Henrique,

Thanks for your support, not yet, next week we are planning to do that.

Best regards,

Mehrdad