Verdin board is restarting by itself

Dear Support,

I hope everything goes well for you.

We have been working on the imx8 mini using a Verdin development boar v1.1.c

After adding the Toradex extension to Visual Studio, I tried to connect the board through the network. After setting IP and password in the VS code, the Verdin board restarts by itself every 10 sec.
I was wondering if I needed to reflash it.
on the VS side there is Error:
Error (533) - SSH error: SSH session not active
Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad, how are you?

Can you confirm to us the following?

• What is the exact version of your Verdin Module?
  • What is the output of uname -a?
  • If the board is not connected to the Extension does the same behaviour occurs?
  • Also, which version of VS Code and of the Torizon Extension are you using?
  • Do you have the serial connection enabled and you can see the board restarting?

Best regards,

Hi @gclaudino.tx ,
How are you doing? Thank you for your time

• What is the exact version of your Verdin Module? V1.1C dev board and V1.1B SOM
  • What is the output of uname -a? I can not check it because in 10 seconds I can not set the password by ssh in the putty.
  • If the board is not connected to the Extension does the same behaviour occurs? never
  • Also, which version of VS Code and of the Torizon Extension are you using? Toradex Torizon Support
    v1.5.1
  • Do you have the serial connection enabled and you can see the board restarting? I tried and it shows some syntax [Starting kernel …]and after 10 seconds again restarted
    Maybe the text below can help
    comport.txt (11.2 KB)

also [10.50.49.95:8840/#!/1/docker/containers] The portainer page is not working.
also when ethernet and type c cable are not connected this reset happen as well

This reset also occurs when ethernet and type C cables are not connected.
The red LED [reset led] turns on and all the leads blink and everything resets.

Thanks for the update!

• Which TorizonCore version are you using? Does it have the Preempt_RT Patches?
  • Is this a customized image? If so, what are the changes that you have made and how?
  • Did you change anything on the jumpers inside the Development Board?
  • Did you test the module on another board to see if the same behaviour happens?

Best regards,

After 10 seconds, it reset by itself and I was fast enough to check the system information :slight_smile:
torizon@verdin-imx8mm-07022050:~$ uname -a
Linux verdin-imx8mm-07022050 5.4.193-rt74-5.7.0-devel+git.90bfeac00dbe #1-TorizonCore SMP PREEMPT_RT Tue Jun 7 13:58:03 UTC 2022 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

There is no new customized image, just the hello world image, and we checked the LEDs and SPI lines, we didn’t change any jumpers, and I tried with a new SOM and it didn’t restart like before, but the old SOM has issues when I double checked it

Thanks.

Hi again!

Thanks for the update @Mehrdad!

There are some known issues with the PREEMPT_RT Image for TorizonCore. Do you need the features of the PREEMPT_RT patch?

Could you please test with a TorizonCore image without PREEMPT_RT and check how your module behaves?

Best regards,

Hi @gclaudino.tx ,
I really appreciate your help and your time.
I need to ask my colleagues about the PREEMPT_RT patch,
It is a good idea to test it without the PREEMPT_RT patch, but unfortunately, I don’t know how to remove it. :frowning:
Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad,

To remove it you can simply download an image without it and load it to your module. Toradex Download Links (Torizon, Linux BSP, WinCE and Partner Demos) | Toradex Developer Center

Best regards,

1 Like

Hi @Mehrdad !

Were you able to test the image without PREEMPT_RT patch?

Best regards,

Hi Henrique,

Thanks for your support, not yet, next week we are planning to do that.

Best regards,

Mehrdad

Dear @henrique.tx and @gclaudino.tx ,
As a result of the reflash through the easy installer, I can now connect the board to the VS via the network.

just one question, during the installation there were two versions 1)TorizonCore with evaluation containers(PREEMPT_RT) and second one 2) TorizonCore with evaluation containers
I chose the second one and in the image that I attached is it that without the PREEMPT_RT one?
Thank you so much for your kind support.
Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad!

Thanks for the update. I’m glad you’re able to connect to the board now.

Indeed. The second one is without the PREEMPT_RT Patch. We’ll report the issue with the first image internally as this patch is still experimental on TorizonCore.

Please tell us if the board starts restarting again with the image you just installed.

Can we tag this as solved? You can choose the most appropriate answer as solution :smiley:

Best regards,

Now, it doesn’t restart anymore. I will experiment with the SPI interface and Visual Studio and thanks for your help and for sure I will definitely do that.

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m experiencing essentially the same issue here, except I do not have PREEMPT_RT patches. I’m using the base image with evaluation containers however this issue seems to occur with any image I use.

I’ve got a Verdin development board with an IMX8M Plus 8GB WiFi/Bluetooth. When I attempt to connect to the board using the VSCode extension, the board begins bootlooping every 35 or so seconds, even without any network connectivity. The UART never gets to a login prompt:

[    1.029781] clk: failed to reparent hsio_axi to sys_pll2_500m: -16
[    1.050123] clk: failed to reparent hsio_axi to sys_pll2_500m: -16
[    1.060728] clk: failed to reparent hsio_axi to sys_pll2_500m: -16
[    2.329195] +V3.3_SW: Underflow of regulator enable count
[    2.576101] [drm:drm_bridge_attach] *ERROR* failed to attach bridge /soc@0/bus@32c00000/mipi_dsi@32e60000 to encoder DSI-37: -517
[    2.587937] imx_sec_dsim_drv 32e60000.mipi_dsi: Failed to attach bridge: 32e60000.mipi_dsi
[    2.596221] imx_sec_dsim_drv 32e60000.mipi_dsi: failed to bind sec dsim bridge: -517
Starting version 250.5+
[   32.476657] ieee80211 phy0: mwifiex_cfg80211_sched_scan_start : Invalid Sched_scan parameters
[   36.760419] watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!
[   36.960202] imx2-wdt 30280000.watchdog: Device shutdown: Expect reboot!
[   36.967608] reboot: Restarting system

Here’s the output of uname -a:

uname -a
Linux verdin-imx8mp-<serial> 5.15.129-6.4.0+git.67c3153d20ff #1-TorizonCore SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 27 12:30:36 UTC 2023 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Hi @alexkl !

Thanks for the message.

But as you can see, this thread is a bit old.

Could you please create a new thread?

Please don’t forget to share all the information you have here plus:

• Which exact module: full name and version
  • Which exact carrier board: full name and version
  • Which OS and version
  • Which version extension you are using
  • What you have already tried to do and the outcomes

As this thread is solved, it will be closed.

Thanks for the comprehension.

Best regards,