Using the QSPI interface to access the FPGA as a memory mapped device

Hi All,

I am planning on reading ADC data periodically from and FPGA over the QSPI interface. I want to be able to have read/write access to the FPGA (via QSPI interface) as if the FPGA was just a memory mapped device.

Is this possible? I know that the Linux driver provides high level access to allow reading and writing files over QSPI. However, what I want to know is whether I can have lower level access to the QSPI to make the FPGA look like an attached memory device. Will I need to write my own QPSI device driver or can I simply tweak the existing driver?

Module : NXP® i.MX 8M Mini Computer on Module

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards,
Lakshman

Hi @w1002644 ,

Welcome to the Toradex Community, feel free to browse around.

Thank you for your question.

Could you give some more in-depth information about your setup?

• HW Type and Version of the module
  • Version and type of carrier board
  • OS and respective version of it

Have a nice day

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your response. I am planning on using the Verdin iMX8M Mini Quad 2GB IT system on module from Toradex (PN: 0059).

I am designing the carrier board myself and will have a Cyclone 10 FPGA on this board, which will interface with the Verdin SoM (via QSPI as I said earlier).

I am planning on using the latest version of Yocto Linux (I believe the latest is version 3.1) as my operating system.

Kind regards,

Lakshman

Hi @w1002644 !

Sorry for the delay.

Please take a look at this other question, that seems related to yours.

Also, if you make your FPGA work just like an SPI-NOR, maybe you can “simply” set your FPGA as an SPI-NOR in the device tree and it would work.

I just can’t confirm as I have no experience with it.

Best regards,

Hi @w1002644 !

Do you have any news on this topic? Were you able to make it work?

Best regards,