Using I2S Digital Audio outputs in Yavia and Mallow Carrier Boards with Verdin iMX8M Plus Module

Can we use I2S Digital Audio output on Yavia and Mallow Carrier Boards to get an audio output with Torizoncore as there is no analog audio output on both carrier boards? If so, is there any DAC you can recommend?

Thanks.

Greetings @imeshsps,

Both the Yavia and Mallow have I2S interfaces available as seen in their hardware features:

However, you are correct they don’t provide any analog audio output by default, requiring external DAC hardware to be integrated. As for recommended audio codecs, you could consider the codecs we have on our Verdin Development board or Dahlia carrier board: Audio (Linux) | Toradex Developer Center

Though of course you are free to consider other options that might fit you better.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hey @jeremias.tx,

Thanks for your quick response.
I need to clarify a few other things I hope you can answer.

1. The Verdin iMX8M Plus Module does not mention an analog output. Still, can we use the analog output on Dahlia carrier board with Verdin iMX8M Plus Module?

2. I plan to use the LVDS display module with Verdin iMX8M Plus Module. I noticed that only the Mallow Carrier Board includes the Capacitive Touch Interface. Is it possible to use touch interface on LVDS module with Dahlia carrier board?

3. Is it possible to use USB DACs for development with Torizoncore OS?

Thanks.

The Verdin iMX8M Plus Module does not mention an analog output. Still, can we use the analog output on Dahlia carrier board with Verdin iMX8M Plus Module?

Yes, this is exactly what is stated in the article I linked you previously:

The Verdin iMX8M Mini and Verdin iMX8M Plus do not feature an audio codec on the module. However, it is possible to access all Synchronous Audio Interfaces (SAI) by placing an external audio codec.

Is it possible to use touch interface on LVDS module with Dahlia carrier board?

If you want to use this display on the Dahlia carrier board you need the DSI to LVDS adapter as stated here: First Steps with Capacitive Touch Display 10.1 Inch LVDS | Toradex Developer Center

This adapter board has the touch interface connector on it as well.

Is it possible to use USB DACs for development with Torizoncore OS?

This highly depends if you can find the appropriate software support for whatever device you choose here for the DAC.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

1 Like