Use JTAG debugger imx8qxp colibri with an M4 application in DDR

Hi,

We have a working debugger setup in Windows with SEGGER Ozone when the M4 application is linked for TCM memory.
We can also successfully run a TCM or a DDR application when the M4 is started from U-Boot. The one thing we cannot do is upload a DDR application via SEGGER Ozone (or any other JTAG debugger/flasher for that matter).

Is it possible to do such a thing, or can DDR applications only be loaded via the SCU/U-Boot? And if it is possible: how?

Kind regards,

Thijs

Hi @thorst,

welcome to our community! Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

About your question, yes, it is possible to load firmware into M4 with a JTag debugger.
When you click to download your SDK, there is an option the download de documentation as well:
Inside the compressed file, there is a document called Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for MEK-MIMX8QX. Go to chapter 4 Run a demo application using IAR, there you will find instructions to compile your debug file and upload it using the JTAG Debugger.

I’ve never tested this on Windows, but I could do this with a Linus Host Machine running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and a JLink device from Segger. I followed the 5 Run a demo using Arm® GCC chapter for my Linux machine.

Let me know if you need extra help with that.

Best regards,
Hiago.

Hi Hiago,

Thank you for your answer! Unfortunately, it is not the answer I’m looking for. As I tried to make clear in the initial post, I can use the debugger perfectly fine when linking for TCM. I cannot seem to get this working though when I link the M4 for DDR memory.

I know that my image for DDR memory is correct because it works fine when it is loaded via U-Boot, so it is just the combination debugger+M4_in_DDR that I cannot get working.

Is it possible to run an M4 image from a debugger in DDR memory?

Hi @thorst,

I apologize, now I understand your question.

We don’t have an answer for your demand right now, I’ll need to search more about this scenario.
Meanwhile, could you also open a ticket on community.nxp.com?

I’ll get back to you if I find something relevant.

Best regards,
Hiago.

Thanks! Asking the NXP community is a good idea, and I’ll try to remember to update this topic if I happen find something before you do

1 Like