USB5744T-I/2G Configuration

Hello Toradex team,

I hope you are all doing great! This is it, we finally received our custom carrier board and now we are in debug mode.

Hardware:

uname:

• Linux verdin-imx8mp-14773423 5.15.77-6.2.0+git.aa0ff7e3554e #1-TorizonCore SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 29 15:33:40 UTC 2023 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Images tested:

• torizon-core-docker-verdin-imx8mp-Tezi_6.2.0+build.2.tar (STABLE Release)

Guest OS:

• macOS (M1 Pro ARM64)
  • Linux ubuntu (VM x86_64)

Issue:
A bit of context first, we have design our custom carrier board based on the Dahlia, so most of it is the same and supposedly work the same.

The problem is, I cannot make the USB_2 working. We think that it’s due to the configuration of the USB HUB Controller USB5744T-I/2G. We cannot use the PCIe either, that is connect through the DOWNSTREAM_4.

So the question is: did you ‘flash’ the ship with a custom configuration or you did all the configuration within the device tree and/or overlay ?

Here is the overlay I used, it’s the same as the one in imx8mp-verdin-dahlia.dtsi, so it shouldn’t be much different…

//
// verdin-imx8mp_usbhub.dts
//

/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;

/ {
	compatible = "toradex,verdin-imx8mp";
};

/* Verdin USB_1 */
&usb3_0 {
	status = "okay";
};

&usb3_phy0 {
	status = "okay";
};

/* Verdin USB_2 */
&usb3_1 {
	fsl,permanently-attached;
	status = "okay";
};

&usb3_phy1 {
	status = "okay";
};

/* Verdin I2C_1 */
&i2c4 {
	status = "okay";
};

/* EOF */

I hope you will be able to help me in my request.

Kind regards,

M

Greetings @unablesalt,

So the question is: did you ‘flash’ the ship with a custom configuration or you did all the configuration within the device tree and/or overlay ?

As far as I know the configuration is done on the device-tree level.

Here is the overlay I used, it’s the same as the one in imx8mp-verdin-dahlia.dtsi, so it shouldn’t be much different…

Are you using a custom device tree and applying this overlay on top? How do you exactly have the device tree setup here?

I saw another post of yours where you found out there was a hardware issue with the HDMI on your custom carrier board. Is it possible a similar hardware issue maybe occurred with the USB hub?

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hello @jeremias.tx,

Thank you for the reply !

I’ll answer in reverse:

We are still investigating if there is any hardware issue on the USB, let’s assume that the hardware is correct (I’ll confirm by tomorrow if we find something odd).

I use the device tree of the dahlia (imx8mp-verdin-wifi-dahlia.dts) where I have added a bunch of overlays for the interface that is different on our board. It’s faster for us to do like this than rewriting an entire dts (for now of course). We haven’t change much the schematic as Dahlia board fits our requirements.

We checked the hardware and we are unable to enable the PRT_CTLX for DOWNSTREAM_2 & DOWNSTREAM_3. The LED remains off. Those two are the same used on the dahlia, so the DTS doesn’t need to be changed (I guess ?). I’ll take a deeper look at the device tree tomorrow morning. I would appreciate if you had any material I can use to help me in debug the interface.

Also, we are using DOWNSTREAM_4 for PCIe (same as Dahlia) and we are not able to use it either, that’s the reason why we assumed that the configuration wasn’t correct and need to be updated somehow.

I want to add that we connect the I2C on the hardware and we are able to see the USB5744T-I/2G at the right address 0x2D (unused by any module).

Best regards,

M

Ok so you’re using imx8mp-verdin-wifi-dahlia.dts with additional overlays. How exactly are you applying the device tree and overlays, are you using TorizonCore Builder or some other mechanism? Also where did you get the source for imx8mp-verdin-wifi-dahlia.dts?

As for these other overlays you’re applying on top. These are all custom overlays made by you, correct? Are these overlays affecting anything related to these issues you’re seeing or are they completely unrelated?

Since both PCIe and the USB hub aren’t working correctly it could be possibly a device tree related issue. Though I’m not sure of this yet.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

@unablesalt

are you using a custom carrier board?
I don’t know if you are aware that we provide a free 30 min call with our hardware engineers before you start building your own carrier board.
Also, we offer a hardware design review process.
Can you please provide your schematic at support@toradex.com

Best Regards,

Matthias Gohlke

Hello @matthias.tx,

This is Maxence, you reviewed my Carrier Board twice. Do you think we can schedule a call where we can discuss this questions and the 2 others I have at the moment ?

Best,
M

Hi, Maxence, :slight_smile:

great lets first take a look at the DTS files.

Best Regards,

Matthias

Hello @jeremias.tx,

It was indeed an hardware error.

The i2c was connected on the chip in our schematic, when we removed the resistor (cut the i2c), it works as expected we have our USB available.

Thank you for your help.

Best,
M

Well glad you were able to narrow down and find the cause here.