Upgrade image on current hardware version

Dear support,

could I update my image on my current hardware Colibri iMX8X V1.0B version? My image right now is:

Colibri-iMX8X_Console-Image 3.0b4.254 20200421

I have a new hardware, where I tried installing the current release version of Torizon. After I upgraded the Easy Installer image, I downloaded the Torizon image and all I got was a black screen even though the installation was successful.

Thank you.

Dear @cae30989 ,
In order to analyze your issue we will need more information:

• Which version of Torizon are you trying to install?
  • Are you using a custom carrier board or one of ours? If that’s the case can you tell us the complete model and version?
  • How is your display connected? (parallel, HDMI, LVDS…) Is it one of our displays?
  • Can you send us the dmesg log?

Best regards,
Josep

Hi Josep,

• Which version of Torizon are you trying to install?
  • I wanted to install the image: torizon-core-docker-colibri-imx8x-Tezi_5.7.2-devel-20221015+build.699.tar
  • For this I updated the easy installer and I used the version Colibri-iMX8X_ToradexEasyInstaller_5.3.0+build.3
  • Are you using a custom carrier board or one of ours? If that’s the case can you tell us the complete model and version?
  • I’m using the Viola carrier board V1.2B for the whole development but I used the Aster V1.1B to use a display
  • How is your display connected? (parallel, HDMI, LVDS…) Is it one of our displays?
  • I used a VGA cable to connect to my regular screen
  • Can you send us the dmesg log?
  • I can’t. So when connected to the Aster carrier board, I had a black screen the whole time, so I tried using minicom and the Viola carrier board, but minicom doesn’t generate any output either.

Thank you for your help and best regards.

Hi @cae30989,

Thank you for providing the information.

That is indeed strange. When you use the Toradex Easy Installer do you see any output on the serial? Does the Toradex Easy Installer work at all?

Did the screen work at any point with the old image?

What I noticed is that you are using the Version V1.0B

As you can see here in the revision history: Colibri iMX8X | Toradex Developer Center

Unfortunately this version of the module uses an early access SoC. Which means it is possible that certain functions won’t work as intended.

I recommend getting a newer version of the module to be sure that you’re up to date with the Hardware and can be sure everything works as you plan.

Furthermore, you are switching from a standard Linux BSP to Torizon. Which is great, as Torizon has some neat features that could be useful in your project.

Would you be interested to setup a call, so we can have a chat about your project?

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi @kevin.tx, thank you for your answer.

That is indeed strange. When you use the Toradex Easy Installer do you see any output on the serial? Does the Toradex Easy Installer work at all?

• Yes it does. At the end of the installations it tells it was successful and that a restart is needed.

Did the screen work at any point with the old image?

• I usually only use minicom, I don’t have any GUI on the device

I recommend getting a newer version of the module to be sure that you’re up to date with the Hardware and can be sure everything works as you plan.

• Okay, thank you. I’ll look into that.

Would you be interested to setup a call, so we can have a chat about your project?

• For now I don’t think is necessary, I’ll get in touch once this project takes shape. I’m only running tests for now.

Best Regards.

Hi @cae30989 !

Thanks for the feedback.

Have a great weekend!

Best regards,
Henrique