Undefined reference to `gpiod_ctxless_set_value' even with libgpiod2 and libgpiod-dev in torizonPackages.json

I’m getting started with a Qt project using Torizon and am trying to toggle a GPIO. As far as I understand, I should just need to add the libgpiod dependencies to torizonPackages.json, which I think I’ve done correctly:

{
    "deps": [
        "libgpiod2"
    ],
    "devDeps": [
        "libgpiod-dev"
    ]
}

However, when I include gpiod.h in my main.cpp and call gpiod_ctxless_set_value, I get undefined reference to `gpiod_ctxless_set_value’ from the linker.

*  Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it. 

*  Executing task: cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -B/home/xxxxxxx/AutoFilteringFixture2/build-local 

-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/xxxxxxx/AutoFilteringFixture2/build-local

*  Executing task: cmake --build /home/xxxxxxx/AutoFilteringFixture2/build-local 

[  4%] Built target AutoFilteringFixture2_qmlimportscan
[ 17%] Built target AutoFilteringFixture2_tooling
[ 21%] Automatic MOC for target AutoFilteringFixture2
[ 26%] Built target AutoFilteringFixture2_autogen
[ 30%] Running AUTOMOC file extraction for target AutoFilteringFixture2
[ 30%] Built target AutoFilteringFixture2_automoc_json_extraction
[ 34%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/AutoFilteringFixture2.dir/main.cpp.o
[ 39%] Linking CXX executable bin/AutoFilteringFixture2
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/AutoFilteringFixture2.dir/main.cpp.o: in function `main':
/home/xxxxxxx/AutoFilteringFixture2/main.cpp:27: undefined reference to `gpiod_ctxless_set_value'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/AutoFilteringFixture2.dir/build.make:286: bin/AutoFilteringFixture2] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:98: CMakeFiles/AutoFilteringFixture2.dir/all] Error 2
gmake: *** [Makefile:91: all] Error 2

*  The terminal process "/usr/bin/bash '-c', 'cmake --build /home/xxxxxxx/AutoFilteringFixture2/build-local'" terminated with exit code: 2. 

Also, as far as I understand, VS Code automation should stick those packages in the various Dockerfile (Dockerfile, Dockerfile.sdk, Dockerfile.debug), but this doesn’t seem to be populating in any of them.

# DO NOT REMOVE THIS LABEL: this is used for VS Code automation
    # __torizon_packages_dev_start__
    # __torizon_packages_dev_end__

What am I missing?

Also here’s my setup:
Apalis iMX6 Quad 2GB IT V1.1Y
Ixora Carrier Board V1.3A
Torizon, using Qt C++/QML Template
Host Machine: Windows, VS Code w/ Torizon IDE Extension 2

I just did a test, when I added the libgpiod packages to my project, the Dockerfiles were not updated right away. Only when I started the build/debug process were these added to my Dockerfiles:

# __torizon_packages_dev_start__
	libgpiod-dev: \
    # __torizon_packages_dev_end__

As for your “Undefined reference” error. Did you actually link the libgpiod library against your code when you compiled? Or did you just add these packages?

When compiling C/C++ you need to always link libraries as needed against your code for compilation to succeed. Just installing the packages on your system (in a container in this case) does not mean they automatically get linked against your code.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Good call, I wasn’t linking libgpiod correctly. Thanks for the help!

Glad I was able to assist!