U-Boot Splash Screen on imx6ull

It’s not working on either our VGA monitor or a resisitive touchscreen.
I really appreciate if Toradex can help us on this issue.
I am looking forward to hear solutions from Toradex.

HI @wjzhang

I created an internal ticket for this issue. I will come back to you once I know more.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi Jaski
Any updates on this issue?
William

Hi William

Yes, this issue is solved by the following commit.

Best regards,
Jaski

I modified and re-built u-boot,then deployed it. But I don’t see any thing changed. It’s still black screen when u-boot runs. Do you have updated u-boot image that I can test on my site?

William

Hi William

I tried it at my place and I can see the Toradex Logo. Could you test this U-boot image?

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi Jaski,
I finally realized that the update was only done on u-boot image version 2.7b5 / 2.8, not the latest 3.0. I built both versions. Only the older version 2.7b5 / 2.8 has the splash screen working.Version 3.0 is still not working. Is Toradex working on updating u-boot version 3.0?
William

Hi William

Currently, there are no plans to support Display in U-Boot in Bsp version 3.0 and the stable release on Bsp 3.0 is already out.

If the Display Support in U-Boot will be included in Bsp 4.0, this is not decided yet.

Best regards,
Jaski

There is u-boot revision text showing on the screen along with the splash. How can we block the text from showing on the screen?

Hi William

You can disable the console as described here.

Best regards,
Jaski

Doesn’t that article apply to Linux only? I need to disable framebuffer console in U-boot.

Could you make a picture or video to show which Text you see during U-Boot splash screen?

See the attached picture. This happened when the “splashpos” variable was set to “0,0”.
screenshot

Hi @wjzhang, I think there are multiple ways on disabling the screen completely on Uboot and leave the init for the Linux Kernel.

Have you tried disabling the LCD init on U-boot? You can do this by disabling the CONFIG_VIDEO variable on Uboot:
http://git.toradex.com/cgit/u-boot-toradex.git/tree/include/configs/colibri-imx6ull.h?h=2016.11-toradex-next#n262

Does this work for you?

I have not tried disabling the LCD init yet. But would that disable the splash screen? I do need to enable the splash screen, but not the u-boot text.

Ah, yes, sorry I misunderstood you, you are right. I believe @jaski.tx is currently checking with the rest of the team, as this could be a bug. He will contact you back.

Hi William

I can reproduce your use case.

The fix is either your setup the splashpos to x,x, where is x is different than 0 or you compile U-Boot with the define CONFIG_HIDE_LOGO_VERSION to hide the bootloader version.

Best regards,
Jaski

I added #define CONFIG_HIDE_LOGO_VERSION to the header file and it worked! Thank you, Jaski.

Hi William, thanks for the feedback. Sorry this took so long but happy that it worked. Feel free to contact us again for any other issue you may have.

Kind regards,
Alvaro.