U-Boot SPL on Colibri IMX8DX

Hello,

I am currently using a Colibri IMX8DX 1GB V1.0D. I used the Toradex Easy Installer to install a Toradex provided Linux image on it.
When the board booted`(U-Boot Version: U-Boot 2020.04-5.2.0+git.76fd4496a40b), I noticed that there is no U-Boot SPL output. I checked with this page (Build U-Boot and Linux Kernel from Source Code | Toradex Developer Center) on how to build u-boot spl for this board, but for the imx8x series it does not list u-boot spl in the u-boot binaries section.
Is there in general no U-Boot SPL support for this board?

Thanks and best regards
corinna

Hi @corinna ,

what kernel version did you install on your board?
Can you please share the branches you used to install kernel and u-boot.

Did you install something else before this installation? If so, try to use the “Erase flash” button on the Toradex Easy Installer, to ensure that no files from the previous installation are still there.

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi @kevin.tx,

I first installed the most recent version of the Toradex Easy installer as this was the only option. Afterwards I installed the most recent Linux version it offered me at that time. I haven’t installed anything since.

The U-Boot version is: U-Boot 2020.04-5.2.0+git.76fd4496a40b (Apr 07 2021 - 07:35:42 +0000). Judging from the given information, this seems to be built from the u-boot-toradex.git: branchtoradex_imx_v2020.04_5.4.70_2.3.0 commit 76fd4496a40b9dd7271ceb9ff330982c954fe8e9.

Linux Version is "TDX Wayland with XWayland 5.2.0+build.7 (dunfell)" and the kernel version is "5.4.91-5.2.0+git.6afb048a71e3".

On the page mentioned in the original post above I saw that u-boot spl is only listed for 8MM/8MP boards. So I am wondering whether on ixm8x boards u-boot spl is just not present as a default setting or whether it is in general not possible to have a boot flow including u-boot spl on these boards?

Thanks and best regards
corinna

Hi @corinna,

thank you for the information.

Depending on the module, SPL is used or not. We base this mainly on the decision made by NXP and we only use it if it is necessary.

On the iMX8 and iMX8X modules, we are using SCFW, which Is why there is another boot scenario.

Can you share why you are trying to use SPL?

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi @kevin.tx,

Thank you for the information!
I wanted to experiment with U-Boot SPL and falcon mode.

So SCFW “replaces” U-Boot SPL? Or is it possible to boot U-Boot SPL after SCFW?

Thank you and best regards
corinna

Hi @corinna,

correct!
SCFW is used instead of SPL.

Glad we could help.

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi @kevin.tx,

Ok, that clarifies things, thank you!

So would it be possible to run U-Boot SPL after SCFW?

Best regards

Hi @corinna,

so I checked back with the team.

Yes, it would be possible to do that.

If you check our git sources, you can peak into the SPL code. As you will see not much is happening in the file. This is why we don’t really use it.

spl.c for iMX8

Feel free to reach out again, if you want to know more.

Best Regards
Kevin