TorizonCore I2C Driver for the Accelerometer Gyroscope sensor

How to enable the kernel driver “INV_ICM42600_I2C” for TorizonCore 6.1.0 ?
I’m trying to add and Accelerometer and Gyroscope sensor to the Toradex with TorizonCore. The sensor recommended by Toradex “mpu-6050” has been discontinued by its manufacture TDK, so I’m trying another sensor “icm-42688-P” which also manufactured by TDK. As I checked the Linux Kernel “5.15.40” of “TorizonCore 6.1.0” can support the Linux kernel configuration item “CONFIG_INV_ICM42600_I2C”
https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/INV_ICM42600_I2C.html

Is there an example of tcbuild.yaml to enable this driver “CONFIG_INV_ICM42600_I2C” ?

Greetings @jeffreyx,

TorizonCore Builder can’t be used to enable kernel configs/drivers that are already present in the Linux kernel. Usually this requires a re-build of the Linux kernel which is outside of what TorizonCore Builder can do.

Fortunately our team often takes requests from customers to enable kernel config options on their behalf. This way the option would be enabled as a kernel module in our OS image by default, which saves you some work in the long-term.

All that said, would you like me to go and make the request for this option?

If yes, can you confirm I have the correct information then for the request:

• Enable kernel config option CONFIG_INV_ICM42600_I2C
  • For the Verdin i.MX8M Plus
  • For TorizonCore 6.X.Y

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi Jeremias,

Thanks for the confirmation. For my side, currently I will try to re-build a Linux image by myself. For Toradex team , may I suggest to update a solution for a "Accelerometer and Gyroscope sensor "? Currently only “mpu-6050” is listed in Toradex’s recommendation list:

However this “mpu-6050” is discontinued, we cannot buy it from the market anymore.

Regards.
Jeffrey Xuan

For my side, currently I will try to re-build a Linux image by myself.

Did you still want me to request the TorizonCore team to enable the kernel option for this driver? Or did you want to first build and test it yourself?

However this “mpu-6050” is discontinued, we cannot buy it from the market anymore.

Thank you for pointing that out, I’ll report this to our documentation team.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi Jeremias,

Yes, please enable the kernel option for this driver. Since “TDK” said this “icm-42688-P” is the official next product of the discontinued “mpu-6050”, which was in Toradex’s recommendation list, I guess it is reasonable to enable the kernel option for this chip.

Thanks.

I’ve gone ahead and made the request to enable this option. I’ll notify you when this is available.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi @jeffreyx,

Just to inform you the team has included the kernel option for this driver in our builds by default. It is set as a kernel module rather than a built-in, but this shouldn’t have a big impact on your uses.

As a reminder if you want to get access to this right away it will be available in our nightly images for TorizonCore 6. This change was not included in TorizonCore 5.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

1 Like