TorizonCore Builder install script unable to find container

I’m trying to install TorizonCore builder in order to be able to create custom overlays.

I have followed the “Install TorizonCore Builder” section of Device Tree Overlays on Torizon | Toradex Developer Center

The setup script prompted me to install docker, docker.io and podman docker, which I have done,

However, the setup script is failing:

<user>@<machine>:~/tcbdir$ source tcb-env-setup.sh 
Emulate Docker CLI using podman. Create /etc/containers/nodocker to quiet msg.
TorizonCore Builder is not installed. Pulling the latest version from Docker Hub...
Setting up TorizonCore Builder with version 3.

Pulling TorizonCore Builder...
Emulate Docker CLI using podman. Create /etc/containers/nodocker to quiet msg.
Error: short-name "torizon/torizoncore-builder:3" did not resolve to an alias and no unqualified-search registries are defined in "/etc/containers/registries.conf"
Error: could not pull TorizonCore Builder from Docker Hub!

Is there a step missing from these instructions to tell docker where to find torizon?

Greetings @Sebtombs,

Based on your logs it looks like you have podman installed instead of docker:

Emulate Docker CLI using podman.

Podman does not default to Dockerhub as the container registry. Could you uninstall podman and only have docker on your development machine.

The setup script prompted me to install docker, docker.io and podman docker, which I have done,

Where exactly did you see instructions to install podman? I don’t believe we recommend podman anywhere in our own documentation.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi Jeremias

The following was output by the setup script:

Command ‘docker’ not found, but can be installed with:
snap install docker # version 24.0.5, or
apt install docker.io # version 24.0.5-0ubuntu1~22.04.1
apt install podman-docker # version 3.4.4+ds1-1ubuntu1.22.04.2

What I have now realised is that it meant to do one of these, not all of them.

However, in practice it appears that actually neither the first nor the third option works.

All the best,

Mark

In general we only require you to install just the Docker engine itself. No need to install Docker Desktop or anything extra. You can find instructions to install the Docker engine here: Install Docker Engine | Docker Docs

Best Regards,
Jeremias