Torizoncore-builder: Caching a auto-downloaded base image

I’m working with torizoncore-builder to create a customized image for my project. This needs a base image, as specified in the input section of the tcbuild.yaml file.

This base image can neatly be specified using a full URL, or using a toradex-feed section to autogenerate the download url. Using either of these is useful, since it ensures that when sharing the tcbuild.yaml file between people (we’re using git to track it), people can just run the build and be sure that they use the same base image, without any manual downloads, and updates are also easy.

However, this approach does seem to download the base image again every time you call torizoncore-builder build, making builds slow and use a lot of bandwidth.

Since the upstream images (I assume) never change (new versions have new filenames), it would only be needed to download the image once, keep it locally and just use that version afterwards. Of course, I can switch to use local in my input section, which does that, but then I have to manually download the image beforehand (resorting to storing the download URL in documentation or so) losing the advantages described above.

Is there any way to get the auto-download behavior, but with caching to only download an image once? If not, maybe this could be considered as a new feature?

Hi @matthijs ,

Is there any way to get the auto-download behavior, but with caching to only download an image once?
If not, maybe this could be considered as a new feature?

Currently on TorizonCore Builder it isn’t possible to cache the auto-downloaded image from our feeds, as you described.

I’ve passed your request and your use case to the team here and it will be discussed internally as a possible feature for future releases of TorizonCore Builder. Thank you for your feedback!

Best regards,
Lucas Akira

Ok, then we’ll handle this with some duplicate documentation for now. Thanks for passing this on!