TorizonCore 6.1 cannot render anymore 3D content on Verdin iMX8M-Mini

Hi @Vix, just to clarify: are you looking for performance improvements or having issues with rendering? Since you made the thread and between the replies from Jeremias, we fixed an issue with the Chromium GPU rendering.

Regarding performance and gputop, we now have gputop in our feeds, not yet released though. I think, from your screenshots, you were running gputop in a different process namespace than the one running chromium, so gputop won’t see the chromium process.

If you want Chromium to show up, run with --privileged, exec into it as root, edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/toradex.sources to not use a snapshot (use URIs: https://feeds.toradex.com/debian) and run sudo apt update && apt install -y gputop.

Here are some tests, comparing my version to the one currently in our repo (minor tweaks and options we’re using to develop). I’ve used Torizon 6.5.0 (MP) and 6.3.0 (MM).

iMX8MM running leonardoheldattoradex/chromium:150224

iMX8MM running torizon/chromium:3

iMX8MP running leonardoheldattoradex/chromium:150224

iMX8MP running torizon/chromium:3

There’s clear activity in the GPU usage with write/reads and continuous memory being allocated to it. Also, although not completely reliable WebGL and WebGL2 report “Hardware Accelerated”.

Of course, Chromium is not completely GPU-bound, and certain operations will utilize the CPU anyway.

Note that we use the fishtank/blob webgl examples with some very harsh settings. Having 500 or 1000 objects isn’t necessarily representative of real-world applications.

1 Like