Torizon: Torizon Extension sporadic errors

Hi

This post is just for feedback for helping improving torizon extrension.

I get some sporadic errors/issues in Visual Studio Code with the Torizon extension.
Closing and start VS Code helps.

Example 1:

When I open VS Code no connection to the iMX6 module could be established(Could ping the module)
When I tried to detect a new device via Network I got this error in the log:

notificationsAlerts.ts:40 Cannot connect to Torizon IDE backend process.
onDidChangeNotification @ notificationsAlerts.ts:40
notificationsAlerts.ts:40 Command ‘Torizon: Detect device via network connection.’ resulted in an error (command ‘torizon.detectNetworkDevice’ not found)
notificationsAlerts.ts:40 Command ‘Torizon: Detect device via network connection.’ resulted in an error (command ‘torizon.detectNetworkDevice’ not found)

Restarting VS Code did help

I have this from time to time.

Example 2:

When I have no project open in VS Code and I create a new ASP.NET Project I get this error:

notificationsAlerts.ts:40 Command ‘Torizon/.NET: Create ASP.NET Application’ resulted in an error (command ‘torizon.createAspDotNetCoreApp’ not found)
console.ts:137 [Extension Host] Torizon backend version:1.0 API version:1.0

But creating a .NET Core do work.

To get it to work I do the following:

1. Use “Create .NET Core application”
    instead
  2. Dont go through the creation process
    (Just cancel it),
  3. Now try “Create .NET Asp
    application”
  4. ASP.NET creation now works

Example 3

During debug the SSH pipe suddenly crash

Debug Console

Error from pipe program ‘ssh’: Killed
The pipe program ‘ssh’ exited unexpectedly with code 137.

VS Code log

console.ts:137 [Extension Host] rejected promise not handled within 1 second: Token cancellation requested: undefined
t.log @ console.ts:137
log.ts:197 ERR Token cancellation requested: undefined
console.ts:137 [Extension Host] rejected promise not handled within 1 second: Token cancellation requested: undefined
t.log @ console.ts:137
log.ts:197 ERR timeout after 1000 ms: Error: timeout after 1000 ms
at t.RawDebugSession.handleErrorResponse (file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft VS Code/resources/app/out/vs/workbench/workbench.desktop.main.js:3160:190)
at file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft VS Code/resources/app/out/vs/workbench/workbench.desktop.main.js:3159:451
at async t.RawDebugSession.shutdown (file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft VS Code/resources/app/out/vs/workbench/workbench.desktop.main.js:3157:536)
log.ts:197 ERR timeout after 1000 ms: Error: timeout after 1000 ms
at t.RawDebugSession.handleErrorResponse (file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft VS Code/resources/app/out/vs/workbench/workbench.desktop.main.js:3160:190)
at file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft VS Code/resources/app/out/vs/workbench/workbench.desktop.main.js:3159:451
at async t.RawDebugSession.shutdown (file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft VS Code/resources/app/out/vs/workbench/workbench.desktop.main.js:3157:536)

Restarting VS Code does also help here

It could be a problem on my setup. But maybe it helps imroving the product.

Thomas

Hi @TJO,

Thank you for reporting these bugs, the feedback is greatly appreciated. Just to clarify are all 3 of these bugs sporadic? Or can you consistently reproduce these?

I’ve been trying to reproduce these bugs on a future version of the extension that has yet to be released. So far I’ve been unsuccessful in reproducing these. Though it may be the case that these bugs are not consistently reproducible or perhaps the team has already fixed the causes for these in the backend. Either way I’ll keep trying and report these bugs to the team in case.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi

Example 1 and 3 are sporadic. Or I cant see any pattern in them.

But I can reproduce example 2 every time I want to :slight_smile:

But it could also be isolated just to my setup by any reason?

Thomas

1. currently vscode extension runs the backend server in the first instance of visual studio that you open. If you close this one then other copies can’t connect to backend anymore. We are thinking about a better way to manage this in the future. If you start a copy of vs code, start a 2nd copy and then close the 1st one you may experience this issue.
  2. This is a known issue, sorry for this. The ASP.NET create command does not load the extension, and so it fails. You can avoid this by clicking on the torizon icon in the side bar (this will load the extension) and then select the command. This is going to be fixed in next update, sorry for the issue.
  3. You can connect and then it sometimes crashes or you can’t connect at all? We have an issue with ssh keys access rights, if the application is stored inside user’s home folder (under documents or similar) it works, vi you store the application on C:\ or any non-user folder it fails. May this explain the issue?