Torizon Kernel Driver Customization for Audio Driver

Hello all

I’m considering using the new Torizon environment for my audio-streaming project. Because we use customized hardware, we need to load additional kernel drivers for our Digital to Analog Converter. Is it possible to do some kernel configuration within this torizon environment or is it meant to use the linux images as they are and just do modifications in the upper layers?

In addition, I am not quite sure if a device tree overlay would be sufficient for out level of customization. Because I also need to adapt the device tree in order to use a touch-display. Can someone answer me that question?

In order to build a prototype of this audio-streamer I have already done all these steps. But for reasons of simplicity I consider switching to torizon.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Greetings @iMX6_user

While it is intended that Torizon images should mostly be used as is, we do understand that there may be some additional software and settings a customer would need to do themselves. We do have a use case for customers to be able to insert their own drivers and such however the implementation and documentation for such a use case is on the backlog currently.

First of all, are these kernel drivers part of the mainline Linux kernel? If so could you please list what driver(s) you need, it may be possible that we can just include them by default on our side if they’re popular enough drivers.

However, if these are your own custom kernel drivers then at the moment the recommended way to add them into Torizon would be to rebuild Torizon to include them. We do have an article about initializing the build environment for Torizon here: Build TorizonCore from Source With Yocto Project/OpenEmbedded | Toradex Developer Center

From there you’d need to just modify the Torizon kernel build recipe to include your custom drivers.

As for your display question, it’s hard to say if overlays will fulfill your needs as I don’t know your particular display. It may be helpful to look at the article here: Setting up Displays with Torizon | Toradex Developer Center

Depending on your display it may be enough to just use our display overlays as a reference for your display overlay.

Though it may be an option to just patch the device tree since depending on your audio kernel driver you may need to just rebuild Torizon anyways.

Let me know if you need more information or have further questions.

Best Regards,
Jeremias