Torizon Bootup Stuck in Emergency Mode when editing permissions in /etc/fstab

Hi Toradex Community,

I am currently experiencing the following issue with my configuration and is a following of a previous related topic I opened ( TorizonCore container: Unable to read/write to SD card - Technical Support - Toradex Community):

• Apalis iMX6
  • Ixora Carrier Board v1.2
  • TorizonCore v6.1.0 Build 1

Upon bootup of the OS, The Kernel attempts to start and I get the following output:

Starting kernel ...

[    3.398317] imx6q-pcie 1ffc000.pcie: Phy link never came up
[    4.399014] imx6q-pcie 1ffc000.pcie: Phy link never came up
Starting version 250.5+
You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or "exit"
to boot into default mode.

Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked.
See sulogin(8) man page for more details.

Press Enter to continue.

Pressing Enter will continuously get me stuck with this output, until I decide to re-image with the base Torizon image. Unable to login and view my journalctl as mentioned.

This happens every single time I execute the following steps in Torizon to setup my host image for my application container:

1. Setup custom password prompted upon first boot.

2. Set mounting permissions in /etc/fstab by adding the two following lines for the SD card and USB:

/dev/mmcblk0p1   /mnt     auto   defaults,noexec,sync,auto,uid=1000,gid=1000  0  0
/dev/sda1        /media   auto   defaults,noexec,sync,auto,uid=1000,gid=1000  0  0
  1. sync

Rebooting the system from here at any point triggers Emergency Loops as seen above.
I’m wondering if anyone is able to help me identify what could cause this bootup problem.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

I suspect it’ because your entries have auto in them - the system considers it a fault if they don’t come up during boot. If either the SD or USB aren’t guaranteed to be present, you’ll want to look into either the nofail or noauto options to either prevent a failure if mounting fails or simply not automatically mount them (but still retain the entries for future mounts in a known location)

1 Like

Greetings @anthonyabboud,

The analysis from @bw908, is correct. The auto property will attempt to automatically mount the specified devices, whether or not these devices are ready or available at boot. In a sense this property is not very “smart” and will do literally what is asked of it.

As already mentioned you either want noauto or nofail. If you go over the post that I referred to you previously: Automatic mounting of sdcard on boot

The user here stated:

i want the system to still be able to boot incase the sdcard is not present. therefore i have added the nofail option.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

2 Likes

Wow! I didn’t realize the current carrier board I’m working on didn’t have an SD card. Good thing this happened, since it may very well be the case in the field.

Adding nofail fixed it for me.

Thank you both for the quick answer!
Anthony

1 Like

Glad you were able to resolve your issue.