Torizon 6.5 device tree - are these the correct files to pull from git?

Hi,

I just want to confirm please whether the following commands from Device Tree Overlays on Torizon | Toradex Developer Center are still the correct version for Torizon 6.5:

### For i.MX 8/8X/8M Mini/8M Plus
$ git clone -b toradex_5.15-2.2.x-imx git://git.toradex.com/linux-toradex.git linux
$ git clone -b toradex_5.15-2.2.x-imx git://git.toradex.com/device-tree-overlays.git device-trees

uname -r suggests it may not be, but the documentation doesn’t suggest that one needs to use uname to get the correct version.

Also, please note that the section entitled " Approach 2: Applying Device Tree Overlays to an Image Directly on the Device" does not mention that

torizoncore-builder dt checkout

is not supported on Torizon 6. It would be helpful if the info box from Approach 1 were also placed in Approach 2.

All the best,

Mark

Greetings @Sebtombs,

Those appear to be the correct versions for 6.5. What makes you say they are not?

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi Jeremias, and my apologies for the delay in replying.

The reason I thought that they may not be correct is because uname -r on 6.5 reports a version of 5.15.129-6.5. Does only the x.y have to match for a version x.y.z?

All the best,

Mark

Hello @Sebtombs,

For modules with an NXP downstream-based BSP, the branch names for the Linux Kernel and devicetree overlays are based on the version of the respective NXP base BSP, which for Torizon OS 6.5.0 is 5.15-2.2.x.
That is why you needed to clone the toradex_5.15-2.2.x-imx branches.

The kernel itself has some additional patches, so the z in x.y.z will vary more often.

This way you are not cloning the exact same commit as the one used on Torizon OS 6.5.0, but the current version on that branch.
To get the exact versions, you would need to dig into the Yocto recipes of Torizon OS 6.5.0, which is usually not necessary.

Best Regards,
Bruno

Thanks Bruno, I now understand.

All the best,

Mark