Toradex easy installer : imx_usb.exe is not a valid win32 application

Hello,

I try to execute toradex easy installer on an old PC (for production purpose) and i always get a message saying that : imx_usb.exe is not a valid win 32 app.
I think your app is only compatible with 64 bits systems.
Is it possible to get a version working on 32 bits OS ?

Thanks ain advance

The imx_usb.exe is a 32-bit application. It is also statically built and therefor I would expect it to work on a Windows XP machine.

Can you post a screenshot of the exact error message you get?

Unfortunately I do not have a Windows XP machine at hand…

Hello,
This is a screenshot showing the error message. I have the same problem at home with a VM running windows xp 32 bits.

Dear @fd101283

The imx_usb.exe has a built-in marker that it requires at least Windows Vista to run.
There’s no obvious reason why this should be required. I patched the binary to accept Windows XP, too. You can download it through the link below:

Let me know whether this fixes the issue.

Regards, Andy

I just found an XP Virtual machine to test:

imx_usb.exe was executed, but crashed. It seems there would be some serious debugging required to make it run under WinXp.
I will discuss it on our next developer meeting. However, we didn’t get any other request for the tool to run under WinXp. So I expect we will not invest our resources to port the tool, unless it can be done with little effort.

Regards, Andy

Hello Andy,

No the problem is not solve.
I’ve always the same error message. No change.
Are you sure you upload the right file ?

Hello Andy,

Same problem with same error message !
Are you sure you upload the right file ?

Dear @fd101283

As I wrote in my previous answer from 2018-06-12, I also found that my quick fix did not solve the problem. I’m afraid to tell you that we are not going to invest more resources to make it work under Windows XP.

Please note that there are other ways to do production programming than using the recovery mode. There is a special article on our developer web site which describes the Production Programming for iMX6 Modules.

As an additional option, the source code of imx_usb.exe is available on GitHub, including Visual Studio 2015 project files. So you can build the application yourself. Here are the required links:

Regards, Andy

Hello Andy,

Ok i understand. I’ll try to find a PC with a newer OS.
Thanks for your help.