TEZI using USB stick sizes of 32 GB and higher

Good day, All.

Inquiring regarding USB stick sizes to use during TEZI installation.

So we are trying to do some testing regarding valid USB stick sizes to use during TEZI installation. We have successfully executed TEZI installation using 4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB USB stick sizes.

But we have been failing using a 32 GB stick.

Is it correct to assume that TEZI USB installation works only for USB stick sizes < 32 GB?

I don’t think this is true. More likely what is happening is that such bigger USB mass storage devices aka memory sticks are delivered with different partitioning and/or a proprietary partition format which the Toradex Easy Installer may not support. So please do report the exact details about that if you expect us to look into it. Plus the usual logs to be provided (attached as textual files, please):

Hi Marcel, thanks for your response. I have attached a screenshot of our terminal.

The error happened before TEZI could even be launched. So we don’t have access to /var/volatile/tezi.log

You missed revealing any details about the partitioning and/or proprietary partition format on your memory stick. Plus I explicitly asked about textual files to be attached and not some quite useless screenshots. Thanks!

Hi Marcel, thanks for the input…

So the USB stick partition info, please see below:

Disk /dev/sda: 31.0 GB, 31042043904 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3773 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda1               1        3774    30310464   c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

Partition typed we used was FAT32.

For the USB stick manufacturer info, please see attached file link text

On other logs, there is no TEZI specific logs to retrieve because TEZI installation hasn’t been started when error occured. Perhaps, if it is not too much to ask, you can give me directions which logs from U-boot should I pass to you?

Thanks again.

Most likely U-Boot does not like that particular USB memory stick. However, likely it is not really directly related to its size but rather some other property. Are you highly dependant on using such stick or can you try a few others?

Hi Marcel, so just today, I tested on Sandisk brand… both 64gb and 128gb.

I am seeing the same as the 20-Nov screenshot I shared.

We are trying higher end sticks since the product that we are developing will going to have life-span of like 10 yrs. We feel by that time, an 8 gb or 16 gb will be very hard to find.

That is why we are testing on 32Gb, 64gb and 128 gb and maybe a 256 gb.

Would it be possible to ask kind help from TEZI team to test on these bigger sizes sticks?

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Hi Marcel, there seems to be a workaround… i just tested now on a 64Gb stick.

Trick is, erase the 64gb USB volume and just create an 8 GB partition. Put TEZI stuff there and do the install “run distro_bootcmd” command, installation SUCCESSFUL!

Now trying on the 128 gb. I believe this will work.

Hi @ryanr,

Please be aware that it’s not recommended to put TEZI on a USB stick and load it through there.

What we recommend:

• Always load Easy Installer through Recovery Mode and using USB OTG connection.
  • Please see here how to enter Recovery Mode in Apalis iMX6.
  • When you uncompress the Easy Installer contents in your computer, you’ll be able to see two scripts for loading TEZI through USB, one for Windows, other for Linux. Use accordingly to your host O.S.
  • For loading the image in your module through USB OTG, please use a direct USB interface on your PC. It’s known that it may not work when used through USB Hubs.

Then, I’ll ask you do to another test:

1. Please format your USB stick of 32/64 GB as you did before, all of it in FAT32.
  2. Put a given image in your USB stick
  3. Load only TEZI through USB OTG over Recovery Mode.
  4. See if TEZI will show your image in the USB Stick in the image list, and if it will be able to install it.

I’ll be waiting for your feedback.

Best regards,
André Curvello