T20 linux tftp/nfs boot problem

I need to migrate our T20 devices from Linux BSP V2.3 to V2.8.

All works fine if I update T20 target NAND by means of U-boot and USB stick or TFTP

Now I am facing the problem to boot the target by means of TFTP/NFS.

According to:

standard U-Boot parameters for TFTP/NFS boot now rely on a custom DHCP server…!

Instead, as in V2.3, it is strictly mandatory for us to have a static IP address on the target,

and the target must be accessible from the company network which has its own DHCP server, actually reserving an IP address range to our T20 devices…

In V2.3 I modified the standard U-Boot parameters in order to specify:

kernel image name in TFTP server.

Root File System directory name in NFS server.

This is necessary as we have many ETH based models and different developers all working interfaced to a

single Linux Development server.

I tried to change drastically the V2.8 U-Boot parameters to V2.3 by means of a Teraterm macro…but V2.8 U-

boot drops the connection…

I would be very grateful if at present Toradex could spare me the task to parse and adapt V2.8 U-Boot

parameters in order to fulfill our requirements…

I believe some FAE which dealt with V2.8 U-Boot parameters can describe to me the new TFTP/NFS command with static target IP in few seconds.

Thank you for your attention.

I need to migrate our T20 devices from Linux BSP V2.3 to V2.8.

You mean from V2.3 stable to 2.8 beta 1 which is about to be superseded by 2.8 beta 2.

All works fine if I update T20 target NAND by means of U-boot and USB stick or TFTP

Now I am facing the problem to boot the target by means of TFTP/NFS.

According to:

Linux - Booting | Toradex Developer Center

standard U-Boot parameters for TFTP/NFS boot now rely on a custom DHCP server…!

What exactly do you mean by custom DHCP server? Any regular DHCP server should work just fine. I also really don’t think anything changed in that regard lately.

Instead, as in V2.3, it is strictly mandatory for us to have a static IP address on the target,

Says who?

and the target must be accessible from the company network which has its own DHCP server, actually reserving an IP address range to our T20 devices…

You mean that being a requirement of yours?

In V2.3 I modified the standard U-Boot parameters in order to specify:

kernel image name in TFTP server.

Root File System directory name in NFS server.

How exactly did you modify what and where?

Anyway I don’t quite see why a similar modification should no longer be working now.

This is necessary as we have many ETH based models and different developers all working interfaced to a single Linux Development server.

This being your requirement again I guess.

I tried to change drastically the V2.8 U-Boot parameters to V2.3 by means of a Teraterm macro…but V2.8 U-boot drops the connection…

Rather than philosophically talking about it a concrete example thereof may be much more solution oriented.

I would be very grateful if at present Toradex could spare me the task to parse and adapt V2.8 U-Boot parameters in order to fulfill our requirements…

It seems to me that you may have rather special requirements which may or may not be easy to meet. But first we would need to understand all those exact requirements before we may comment on their feasibility.

I believe some FAE which dealt with V2.8 U-Boot parameters can describe to me the new TFTP/NFS command with static target IP in few seconds.

While I am not such FAE but just a humble Platform Manager I am still running such TFTP/NFS setup more or less daily without any issues whatsoever. However I do remember that since U-Boot version 2011.06 back in V2.3 to 2016.11 now in 2.8 a few minor details may have changed along the way.

If you are actually looking for us to offer you any help I suggest for you to describe in more detail what exactly it is you are trying to achieve and in what respect your setup differs from the setup as described in the Linux booting article you mentioned.

Thank you for your attention.

You are very welcome.