Store firmware on Colibri iMX8X M4

Hi there,

Are the indications for Colibri iMX7 shown here still valid to store firmware on Colibri iMX8X M4?

Thanks in advance.

V

Hi @vic !

Please, follow this FreeRTOS on the Cortex-M4 of a Colibri iMX8X | Toradex Developer Center article in order to use the M4 for Colibri IMX8X.

There you’ll find a link directly to NXP and instructions to download what you need from there.

Best regards,

Dear @henrique.tx,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I followed the indications in the link. I downloaded SDK SDK_2_9_0_MIMX8QX6xxxFZ and checked Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for MEK-MIMX8QX.pdf file in the docs folder. Section 7 reads:

The bootaux command on U-Boot is obsolete because the A and M core must run on different partitions. We can no longer kick off M4 demo from U-Boot.

However, I noticed that @alex.tx used U-boot to run HellowWorld example successfully in this thread with recent updates. Can you confirm if bootaux can be used to run M4 demos?

Thanks in advance.

Vic

Hi @vic !

As you noticed, yes: there are some examples that show that doing so is possible, although NXP’s documentation states the opposite.

We strive to test and document such functionality, but the official source for all HMP-related information is the MCUXpresso SDK documentation.

The supported operations are those outlined in NXP’s documentation. Outside of this scope, it is up to the user to test any functionality and assure that it works.

Best regards,

Dear @henrique.tx ,

Thanks for your reply. I understand your reasoning well. I will try methods there and come back to you if necessary.

V!

Hi @henrique.tx ,

I followed the indications in the SDK to run the M4 example using imx-mkimage (section 6 of “Getting started…” document). I accounted for the indications here to generate the image files. Then, I run “make SOC=iMX8QX REV=C0 flash_cm4” as indicated in section 6.1 of “Getting Started…” document and obtained this error:

include misc.mak
include m4.mak
include android.mak
include test.mak
include autobuild.mak
include rev_a.mak
include alias.mak
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'flash_cm4'.  Stop.
Makefile:22: recipe for target 'flash_cm4' failed
make: *** [flash_cm4] Error 2

Running “make SOC=iMX8QX REV=C0 flash” runs without error, but I guess it does not include the m4_image.bin file… Is this method suitable to run demos in the Colibri or perhaps I did something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

V!

Hi @vic

We are working on trying to reproduce your issue and we are also working on rewriting the documentation that we have about Heterogeneous Multicore Processing.

We will keep you up to date.

Best regards,