SD card usage from both Linux and RTOS

Hi,
I’m trying to achieve a principle in my stack that both cores can reach certain files from the SD Card.
Is it possible that both RTOS and LINUX can initialize their File System and reach the required data simultaneously? And if it is, then how it can be done?

As well, I have tried to unmount the SD Card from the Linux after booting up, yet at the same time after unmounting the drive on Linux I tried to reach it from M4 by initializing the FS, it didn’t work. The M4 cannot initialize his own FS with certain drive, e.g. (M0:).

Best regards.

Colibri iMX8DX 1GB V1.0D
Iris Carrier Board V2.0
TorizonCore (2022-04-09 | 5.6.0+build.13)

Hi @pkg_su,

In order to do that, you will need to initialize the SD controller in both cores and deal with race conditions and share the peripherals dynamically. I don’t think it’s possible, because usually, you set the peripherals that you will use inside the device tree, but it’s not possible to do it dynamically at run time.

I would suggest you use the RPMsg to exchange data between the two cores, instead. For example, you can use the Cortex-M to send the data you want, and then Linux will get this data and write it to the SD Card. Does this make sense for your project?

If so, I can help you with the RPMsg setup. There is an example of RPMsg code inside the NXP SDK that you’ve downloaded.

Best regards,
Hiago.

Hi @hfranco.tx,

Thanks for your answer, but in our use case it will be ideal to reach the same resources from both CPUs. And since it’s not possible, then it’s logically that RPMsg is the answer here to share data between two run times.

Nevertheless, we had already started with RPMsg setup using the toolchains that NXP provides.
However, it will be much appreciated if you can share a sample example code using CPU MIMX8UX5CVLFZAC.

Best regards.

Hi @pkg_su,

Sure! Here I used the example inside the folder below.

SDK_2_9_0_MIMX8UX5xxxFZ/boards/mekmimx8qx/multicore_examples/rpmsg_lite_str_echo_rtos

To see the output from Colibri iMX8X M4 UART we need to change the code a little bit. In Colibri, we don’t have access to the default pins that NXP sets inside the pin_mux.h and pin_mux.c. But if we look at the datasheet of Colibri iMX8X, we can see the table below.

We do have access to M4 UART using pins 144 and 146, ALT FUNCTION 2. Then, I changed the code inside the M4 to use these pins:

diff --git a/boards/mekmimx8qx/multicore_examples/rpmsg_lite_str_echo_rtos/pin_mux.h b/boards/mekmimx8qx/multicore_examples/rpmsg_lite_str_echo_rtos/pin_mux.h
index 900d8ef..dbda7f9 100644
--- a/boards/mekmimx8qx/multicore_examples/rpmsg_lite_str_echo_rtos/pin_mux.h
+++ b/boards/mekmimx8qx/multicore_examples/rpmsg_lite_str_echo_rtos/pin_mux.h
@@ -14,10 +14,10 @@
  **********************************************************************************************************************/

/* ADC_IN2 (coord V32), M40_UART0_RX */
-#define BOARD_INITPINS_M40_UART0_RX_PIN_FUNCTION_ID                 SC_P_ADC_IN2   /*!< Pin function id */
+#define BOARD_INITPINS_M40_UART0_RX_PIN_FUNCTION_ID                 SC_P_SCU_GPIO0_00   /*!< Pin function id */

/* ADC_IN3 (coord V30), M40_UART0_TX */
-#define BOARD_INITPINS_M40_UART0_TX_PIN_FUNCTION_ID                 SC_P_ADC_IN3   /*!< Pin function id */
+#define BOARD_INITPINS_M40_UART0_TX_PIN_FUNCTION_ID                 SC_P_SCU_GPIO0_01   /*!< Pin function id */

/* ADC_IN0 (coord U35), M4_I2C0_1V8_SCL */
 #define BOARD_INITPINS_M4_I2C0_1V8_SCL_PIN_FUNCTION_ID              SC_P_ADC_IN0   /*!< Pin function id */
diff --git a/boards/mekmimx8qx/multicore_examples/rpmsg_lite_str_echo_rtos/pin_mux.c b/boards/mekmimx8qx/multicore_examples/rpmsg_lite_str_echo_rtos/pin_mux.c
index 7339c00..391d914 100644
--- a/boards/mekmimx8qx/multicore_examples/rpmsg_lite_str_echo_rtos/pin_mux.c
+++ b/boards/mekmimx8qx/multicore_examples/rpmsg_lite_str_echo_rtos/pin_mux.c
@@ -70,12 +70,12 @@ void BOARD_InitPins(sc_ipc_t ipc)                          /*!< Function assigne
   {
       assert(false);
   }
-  err = sc_pad_set_all(ipc, BOARD_INITPINS_M40_UART0_RX_PIN_FUNCTION_ID, 1U, SC_PAD_CONFIG_NORMAL, SC_PAD_ISO_OFF, 0x0 ,SC_PAD_WAKEUP_OFF);/* IOMUXD_ADC_IN2 register modification value */
+  err = sc_pad_set_all(ipc, BOARD_INITPINS_M40_UART0_RX_PIN_FUNCTION_ID, 2U, SC_PAD_CONFIG_NORMAL, SC_PAD_ISO_OFF, 0x0 ,SC_PAD_WAKEUP_OFF);/* IOMUXD_ADC_IN2 register modification value */
   if (SC_ERR_NONE != err)
   {
       assert(false);
   }
-  err = sc_pad_set_all(ipc, BOARD_INITPINS_M40_UART0_TX_PIN_FUNCTION_ID, 1U, SC_PAD_CONFIG_NORMAL, SC_PAD_ISO_OFF, 0x0 ,SC_PAD_WAKEUP_OFF);/* IOMUXD_ADC_IN3 register modification value */
+  err = sc_pad_set_all(ipc, BOARD_INITPINS_M40_UART0_TX_PIN_FUNCTION_ID, 2U, SC_PAD_CONFIG_NORMAL, SC_PAD_ISO_OFF, 0x0 ,SC_PAD_WAKEUP_OFF);/* IOMUXD_ADC_IN3 register modification value */
   if (SC_ERR_NONE != err)
   {
       assert(false);

Then, to see the UART inside the M4, we need to disable it from the Linux Kernel. Otherwise, Linux will enable this UART during the boot process and we won’t be able to see the messages on your Screen.

So I booted up my Linux (here I’m using the Reference Minimal Image), and enable the overlay called colibri-imx8x_disable-cm40-uart_overlay.dtbo:

root@colibri-imx8x-06995803:~# cat /boot/overlays.txt 
fdt_overlays=colibri-imx8x_parallel-rgb_overlay.dtbo colibri-imx8x_ad7879_overlay.dtbo display-vga_overlay.dtbo colibri-imx8x_disable-cm40-uart_overlay.dtbo

Then I rebooted my module and stopped at the uBoot terminal.

Next, I compiled my code and loaded it inside the Cortex-M4. Here I’m using a Colibri Evaluation Board and a USB to TTL converter to see the output of M4 on my computer (hooked up on pins SODIMM_144 and SODIMM_146). For more information on how to do that, please follow these guides: High performance, low power Embedded Computing Systems | Toradex Developer Center.

As soon as you run the M4 Code, you should see this message on your screen:

RPMSG String Echo FreeRTOS RTOS API Demo...

Now boot the Linux Kernel (running boot command on uBoot) and load the kernel module for the RPMSG:

root@colibri-imx8x-06995803:~# modprobe imx_rpmsg_tty
[   56.322749] imx_rpmsg_tty virtio1.rpmsg-openamp-demo-channel.-1.30: new channel: 0x400 -> 0x1e!
[   56.331946] Install rpmsg tty driver!
root@colibri-imx8x-06995803:~# ls /dev/ | grep -i "rpmsg"
ttyRPMSG30

Now you can simply send messages between Cortex-A and Cortex-M4:

root@colibri-imx8x-06995803:~# echo "oi" > /dev/ttyRPMSG30

Please, let me know if all steps are clear and if you need any extra help with that.

Best regards,
Hiago.

2 Likes