RTC configuration

i’m using an external RTC - how can I configure it?

Hi @tcapoli,

Please, provide more information about your environment, like:

• What RTC are you using?
  • What Carrier Board are you using (Toradex or your own)?
  • What Computer on Module (CoM) are you using?
  • What version of Toradex BSP are you using?

Best regards,
André Curvello

@andrecurvello.tx

Also I would need to configure the RTC from within my nodejs application running on a docker container

What RTC are you using?

What Carrier Board are you using (Toradex or your own)?
my own design

What Computer on Module (CoM) are you using?
iMX7

What version of Toradex BSP are you using?
U-Boot 2016.11-1.8.0+g07edca0bb8 (Oct 19 2018 - 13:34:00 +0000)

Hi @tcapoli,

Thanks for the provided information.
About the BSP, you have just provided the information for the U-Boot, not for the BSP at all.

And, as you’ve commented about Docker, are you using Torizon, then?

But, either way, about the RTC:

Best regards,
André Curvello

hi, i’m using M41T0M6 for RTC - does all this still hold? please explain how to do this, i have 0 experience with these kind of projects / BSP / etc.

how do i know the BSP version?

i entered lshw and got this… description: ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l) product: Toradex Colibri iMX7D 1GB (eMMC) on Colibri Evaluation Board V3

why does it show evaluation board when this is running on my own carrier board?

ID=“torizon” NAME=“TorizonCore” VERSION=“4.0.0-devel-202007+build.17 (zeus)” VERSION_ID=“4.0.0-devel-202007-build.17” PRETTY_NAME=“TorizonCore 4.0.0-devel-202007+build.17 (zeus)” BUILD_ID=“17”

Hi @tcapoli,

I’m using M41T0M6 for RTC - does all this still hold? please explain how to do this, I have 0 experience with these kinds of projects / BSP / etc.

R: That depends on the approach you want to follow: i.e., if you are using TorizonCore or our Linux BSP for a Yocto Build.

how do I know the BSP version?

R: On your running target, you can query that by getting the output of the following files:

• /etc/issue
  • /etc/os-release

i entered lshw and got this… description: ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l) product: Toradex Colibri iMX7D 1GB (eMMC) on Colibri Evaluation Board V3

R: Good point. I was going to confirm which iMX7D you were using because this version is the one compatible with TorizonCore.

why does it show evaluation board when this is running on my own carrier board?

R: Probably because you haven’t changed your device-tree. So it’s using the default device-tree for Colibri iMX7D, which is based in our Toradex Colibri Evaluation Board V3.

ID=“torizon” NAME=“TorizonCore” VERSION=“4.0.0-devel-202007+build.17 (zeus)” VERSION_ID=“4.0.0-devel-202007-build.17” PRETTY_NAME=“TorizonCore 4.0.0-devel-202007+build.17 (zeus)” BUILD_ID=“17”

R: So you are using the TorizonCore 4. I strongly advise you in moving to the TorizonCore 5.

You can do that by following the process below:

1. Load Toradex Easy Installer in your iMX7D

2. In the Toradex Easy Installer, enable the Continuous Integration Server from Toradex in the Feeds section, see the bottom option when you open the Feeds window.

3. Install one of the TorizonCore 5.1.0 images, like this one if it appears to you TorizonCore 5.1.0-devel-202011

4. Read our material about Device Tree Overlays on TorizonCore, so you can see how to configure a TorizonCore with a custom device tree overlay.

5. About your RTC, you’ll be probably doing something like this in your device-tree overlay:

/* M41T0M6 real time clock on carrier board */
     rtc_i2c: rtc@68 {
         compatible = "st,m41t0";
         reg = <0x68>;
     };

Please let me know if that helped.

Best regards,
André Curvello