RPMSG on TorizonCore 6 with Verdin iMX8M-Mini

Hi @vix,

We have an overlay that is under review right now for the Plus, it should be merged on the device-tree repository in a few weeks. I can share it with you if you need it.

RPMSG works with the Verdin Plus, but to see the messages we need to disable the UART4 because the cortex M7 uses these pins. However, on the Plus, UART4 is also used for WiFi/BT control, as stated on its datasheet:

The Wi-Fi module is connected over a 4-bit SDIO interface with the i.MX 8M Plus SoC. It uses the
USDHC1 instance of the SoC. For Bluetooth Audio, an additional I2S interface is available between
the SoC and the Wi-Fi module, which uses the SAI5 instance of the SoC. The Bluetooth UART
signals (RX, TX, RTS, CTS) signals are connected to an alternate location of the UART4 of the SoC.
This interface can only be used if the Verdin standard UART_4 (M7 debug port) is not in use. It is
either possible to use the M7 debug UART or the Bluetooth UART simultaneously

So by using the debug port of the M7, you will lose this functionality. However, this port is usually only used for debugging, once you have your code running inside the M7 you can disable this debugging port or you can route the debug port of the M7 to a different UART that is available (although I never tried this option).

Now a note about the remote proc, currently it’s not working with our BSP 6/TC 6, only BSP 5/TC 5. We already have a ticket internally to investigate this issue, although I don’t have any updates right now. This doesn’t exclude the option of using the u-boot to load the binary, of course, but if you need the remote proc feature this can be an issue.

Please check this ticket for more info: Zephyr Remoteproc (verdin-imx8mp on verdin-dev) - #6 by hfranco.tx

Also, there is this ticket open with NXP: https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/Linux-Remoteproc-on-i-MX8MP/m-p/1587608

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Hiago.