Remote Control on Colibri iMX6

I came across this remote-display-linux for something similar which I am trying to achieve. I want to have a remote control over the module.

I am working with Colibri iMX6 running Linux.

Can someone help me with this?

Thank you in advance.

The same article also have the instructions on building the freeRDP client which is also applicable for Colibri iMX6.

Your requirement is not exactly clear however x11vnc might also suit your purpose. One may install it on the module with

opkg install x11vnc

or include it in a custom image build with OpenEmbedded by having

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = "x11vnc"

in ~/oe-core/build/conf/local.conf and then build the image. For information on OpenEmbedded build, please refer the article here.

On any of our modules after installation, x11vnc can be used by invoking the following from command line

x11vnc -display :0

and then from a Linux desktop, one can connect with

vncviewer <ip_address_of_module>:0

Bhuvan!! Thank you for your input. The solution you mentioned works perfect for my requirement.

One more question related to this thread.

I am also trying to achieve file transfer from remote Windows to Colibri iMX6. I have the following command when instantiating a x11vnc server on Colibri iMX6

x11vnc -tightfilexfer which should enable file transfer.

After which I connect using Real VNC running on Windows. I am able to have a remote connection but not able to transfer files from Windows client to Colibri module. The disabled file transfer button reads “VNC server does not support file transfer” on hovering over.

Do you have any idea about this?

PS: I am a newbie to embedded programming.

We never tested file transfer with x11vnc. Atleast from the man page of x11vnc seems it supports UltraVNC and TightVNC file transfer extensions. Have at look at the man page.

Hi,

We are using Linux colibri-imx6ull 4.9.87-2.8.4, and have tried to setup open vnc.

we have followed below steps:

1. opkg install x11vnc
  2. x11vnc -display :0
    while running second step we are getting below error:

12/02/2019 13:31:06 x11vnc version: 0.9.13 lastmod: 2011-08-10 pid: 647
12/02/2019 13:31:06 XOpenDisplay(“:0”) failed.
12/02/2019 13:31:06 Trying again with XAUTHLOCALHOSTNAME=localhost …

12/02/2019 13:31:06 ***************************************
12/02/2019 13:31:06 *** XOpenDisplay failed (:0)

*** x11vnc was unable to open the X DISPLAY: “:0”, it cannot continue.

Can you please help up with this ??

Could you please specify which version of Linux BSP you are using? Is it a console only image? If so VNC will not work. Use ssh instead.

thanks @alex.tx for your response,

we are using “colibri-imx6ull_console-image-tezi_2.8b5.156-20181228” console image.
can you suggest the procedure for ssh ? module will be in different network.

Hi,
You just need to know the ip address of the module and then you can follow these Instructions.

Best regards, Jaski

Hi ,
we are able take ssh when host and colibri module are in same network.
But we want to take ssh or remote access when host and colibri module are in different network.
can you help us how we can do it with “colibri-imx6ull_console-image-tezi_2.8b5.156-20181228” image?

What you mean with different network?
Can you access this module in different network from your network?
Is pinging possible?
How is your network configuration?

What you mean with different network? - The module will be at remote location, it wont be in same network where host is present.
Can you access this module in different network from your network? - no, that’s what we are looking for something like open vnc, but as we are using console image its not possible with it.
Is pinging possible? - No

Can you access this module in different network from your network? - no

Could you please specify your network configuration? To remotely access a module you must have ability to send/receive TCP/IP packets between module and a host computer.
We are using OpenSSH_7.5p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2. This software is not Toradex specific, so you can use any available documentation about OpenSSH.

okay, thank you for your input.

Please note that hijacking old questions is discouraged!

https://www.toradex.com/community/page/howto.html