Real Time and Graphic drivers

Hello,
I read the extensive page about Real time Linux on Toradex modules:

I see that all the tests have been executed disabling graphic drivers.
Unfortunally, in my application I have to interface a HDMI display and manage some simple hard real-time threads. I don’t need high performance (delays can be in the order of 3/4 millisecs), but I need hard real-time performances, and I’m bound to use Colibri iMX6 Solo 256MB IT module (which has nor dual processor, neither dedicated M4 controller for real time operations).

Is there some performance study executed without disabling graphic drivers?
What kind of problems may occur in using graphic drivers together with PREEMPT_RT option (long delays, compilation problems, ecc.)?

Thank you in advance
Roberto

HI @roberto_radicioni and Welcome to the Toradex Community!

Could you provide the version of the Hardware (including carrier board) and Software of your module?

I don’t need high performance (delays can be in the order of 3/4 millisecs), but I need hard real-time performances.

What do you mean with that? What resolution or jitter can you accept?

Is there some performance study executed without disabling graphic drivers?

No, for real-time studies we always disabled the graphic drivers.

What kind of problems may occur in using graphic drivers together with PREEMPT_RT option (long delays, compilation problems, ecc.)?

We have an image with preempt_rt patch for the kernel (Please check the CI Feeds in Toradex Easy Installer) with graphic drivers enabled. You could try this out and check if you see any issues.

Best regards,
Jaski