Question about build and Update of Linux kernel

Hello,

I use Colibri-iMX6ULL 512MB WB BT V1.1A and Colibri Evaluation Board V3.2B. And three CAN communication are required on my project.
Therefore, my purpose is to use CAN by changing pin function from GPIO to FlexCAN.
CAN (Linux)link text

Now, I am in the process of the article below in order to replace Linux kernel. And I have some questions.
Build U-Boot and Linux Kernel from Source Codelink text

Q1. This article has four contents – “Summary”, “Toolchain”, “U-Boot” and “Linux Kernel”. For my purpose, I don’t need to do “U-Boot” procedure, right?

Q2. In part “Kernel Update”, are two steps - “Toradex Easy Installer” and “Legacy Images” optional? Or should I do both procedure?

Q3. At step “Toradex Easy Installer” in part “Kernel Update”, what does the following mean?

Integrate above built artefacts into our regular Toradex Easy Installer package: For a module which uses raw NAND simply replace the kernel binary and device tree(s) in the unpacked Toradex Easy Installer directory.

Though I think I should replace zImage and dtb files in Linux image, what needs to be changed in Toradex Easy Installer package.

Q4. At step “Legacy Image” in part “Kernel Update”, can I use USB memory instead of SD card?

Thank you reading and I would greatly appreciate if you could answer to my question.

Hello @TK1890 and Welcome to the Toradex Community!

Q1. This article has four contents – “Summary”, “Toolchain”, “U-Boot” and “Linux Kernel”. For my purpose, I don’t need to do “U-Boot” procedure, right?

If you already have U-Boot for Bsp 2.8b6, then you don’t need to update. For the CAN, you just need to change/update the devicetree.

Q2. In part “Kernel Update”, are two steps - “Toradex Easy Installer” and “Legacy Images” optional? Or should I do both procedure?

You need to one of the Steps. I would recommend you to use the Toradex Easy Installer.

Q3. At step “Toradex Easy Installer” in part “Kernel Update”, what does the following mean?
Integrate above built artefacts into our regular Toradex Easy Installer package: For a module which uses raw NAND simply replace the kernel binary and device tree(s) in the unpacked Toradex Easy Installer directory

Actually you should unpack a xx-tezi Image to an Usb Stick or SD Card and then just replace the the parts you want to customize in the unpacked folder. After this you can install the customized image on the module using Toradex Easy Installer.

Q4. At step “Legacy Image” in part “Kernel Update”, can I use USB memory instead of SD card?

As written above, I would recommend you to use Toradex Easy Installer. And yes, you can use USB Key instead of SD Card.

Thank you reading and I would greatly appreciate if you could answer to my question.

You are welcome.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi @jaski.tx !

Thank you for answering this question. I was easily able to understand what you told me.
And thanks to you, I was able to use flexcan1 and flexcan2 today.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Perfect that it works. Thanks for the feedback.