Problems flashing image on Apalis iMX8

Hi,

We recently acquired the Apalis iMX8QM 4GB and we are in the process of trying to get the Linux Console Image flashed on it.

However since there is no Toradex easy installer preinstalled we are now trying via USB OTG.
We manage to put the board into recovery mode using a pair of tweezers (Red LED is now on near the module).
Next on the host PC we run ‘recovery-windows.bat’ from the following easy installer download: Apalis-iMX8_ToradexEasyInstaller_2.0b2-20190716

The bat file opens correctly and seems to go to 100% (screenshot is included). However I have no feedback on any display output (VGA, DVI). What is the default video output on the board when perform this method. And is there a debug serial output available?alt text

Kind regards

Tom

However since there is no Toradex easy installer preinstalled

With the next production lot it should now come pre-installed.

we are now trying via USB OTG. We manage to put the board into recovery mode using a pair of tweezers

Do you mean according to the following article on our developer website?

(Red LED is now on near the module).

That one actually does not really have anything to do with the recovery mode, but is just the RESET_MOCI# one.

Next on the host PC we run ‘recovery-windows.bat’ from the following easy installer download: Apalis-iMX8_ToradexEasyInstaller_2.0b2-20190716

The bat file opens correctly and seems to go to 100% (screenshot is included). However I have no feedback on any display output (VGA, DVI). What is the default video output on the board when perform this method.

It should do VESA VGA timings on DVI-D aka HDMI. However, some DVI-D screens are known to have difficulties with that.

And is there a debug serial output available?

Yes, as usual.

BTW: I believe you should ask your questions in the following early-access space, not?

https://www.toradex.com/community/spaces/62/imx8-early-access.html

Hi,

I should propably indeed post in that area, can you move the post or should I make a new one for further comments about this topic?

hi @Asterix, thats ok. I moved the post to the Confidential Space.

Thanks for the move.

Anyway, back on topic. Yes we followed the guide on your developer website.
Tomorrow morning I will try with a different monitor and see if it helps.

Where is this debug output then normally located? We already tried several UART ports.

Regular UART1 at 115200 baud. If on the Apalis Evaluation board you may get it on X29 as USB-to-serial if you have JP10 and JP12 in 2-3 position. Otherwise, if those are in 1-2 position you should get it on the lower X28 as RS-232.

We tried with a different screen. No succes.
However I now have the UART1 connected so I can check what happen when running the recovery-windows.bat file. I included an image of the output of the UART and an image of the output of the windows-bat file.

Also already tried running recovery-windows.bat as administrator but then it cannot download tezi apparently.

It looks like it just hangs itself in the autoboot.link text

I just realised that you do not have an Apalis iMX8QM 4GB WB IT V1.0B but rather an Apalis iMX8QM 4GB IT V1.0B which has a different product ID. I was not aware that we already started shipping those. Unfortunately, that product ID was missing from the recovery configuration in version 2.0b2 and will only be added in an upcoming 2.0b3. For the time being, you may use the following uuu.auto file where you extracted the Toradex Easy Installer .zip package. Notice the following line being added in there:

CFG: FB: -vid 0x0525 -pid 0x402F

Sorry, for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks for your answer! We succeeded with the new auto file to flash the easy installer to the module, however there seems to be a class in the module version. That is, the easy installer mentions that the module version is V1.0A (instead of V1.0B as on the sticker). As such, the easy installer displays the message that demo images as available here Downloads & Installers | Toradex Developer Center are not compatible with this module. Is there any place were we can find a demo image for version V1.0A?

I believe rather than with the version it actually has to do with its product ID which was not added to that BSP 3.0b1 as of yet (just as it was missing for the Toradex Easy Installer recovery as discussed above) due to unavailability of any such hardware. We will upload BSP 3.0b2 tomorrow which should fix this and work just fine on any and all currently perceived Apalis iMX8 SKUs.

We tried the new BSP 3.0b2 which indeed was compatible with the module and it installed without errors. However, when re-booting the module after installation with the new image installed it freezes after a couple of seconds at the output shown in the picture.

Do you have any idea what is going wrong? (The complete booting sequence can be found in the attached file.link text)

PCIe may have more issues than expected. Suggest removing jumper for Apalis GPIO7.

Removing the jumper worked! But could you also explain why or what effect this jumper has (or doesn’t have anymore)?

It keeps the on-carrier PCIe switch in reset basically disabling it for now.