Problem with uboot Display Configuration

Hi community,
I always used the U-Boot-envtools to set the Display configuration with

fw_setenv vidargs ‘video=mxcfb0:dev=lcd,800x480@60,if=RGB666’

fw_setenv console null

Although the configuration is shown by fw_printenv, the display continues operation in 640x480 and there is still a console talking on UARTA (systemd console is disabled).

I guess this problem is related to the new Easy Installer Versions, because with the older boards everything worked fine.

It is also not possible to install the old tested image from a SD card with run setupdate, run update in uboot. The system does not boot. Work around: I installed a new Easy Installer image and then it is possible to install the SD card image. However, without the display/console problem solved, it is not useful in our product anymore.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks in advanced,
Oliver

Hi Oliver

Could you provide the software version of your module?

fw_setenv vidargs 'video=mxcfb0:dev=lcd,800x480@60,if=RGB666'
fw_setenv console null

Although the configuration is shown by fw_printenv, the display continues operation in 640x480 and there is still a console talking on UARTA (systemd console is disabled).

Did you save the environment before rebooting the module?
Could you provide the output of fbset?

It is also not possible to install the old tested image from a SD card with run setupdate, run update in uboot. The system does not boot. Work around: I installed a new Easy Installer image and then it is possible to install the SD card image. However, without the display/console problem solved, it is not useful in our product anymore.

Can you provide a error log, please? Thanks.

Hey! Thank you very much for your help. I’m trying to provide you with the information needed. First, the output of fbset shows me the false resolution. As far as I remember, I do not need to save the environment, if I configure the environment with the Linux Terminal. I have checked our script and we never saved the environment. Just only the two lines, mentioned above.

To clear my mind and reset all my tries, I installed a new image (colibri-imx6_lxde-image-tezi_2.7-20180104). This time I set up the display directly in uboot and it works. Fbset shows me the right resolution. Printenv shows me the configuration line.

So far, I try to disable the console out of the Linux Terminal now and I get the answer “Write error on /dev/mmcblk0boot0: Operation is not permitted Error: Can’t write fw_env to flash”
I continued installing the old image and the graphic settings immediately were correct. I try to disable the console with fw_setenv console null. The command was accepted, but the console was not disabled. I tried the same in uboot and now it works.

Therefore, for me it looks like that I cannot configure the Uboot environment with the Linux Terminal anymore. Did I miss something?

Anyway, I can use a new Image from this page, test it with our application and configure uboot directly. I guess everything works for me now. But I don’t know why the configuratin with the terminal dosen’t work anymore.

Best regards, Oliver

Perfect, that you found a solution.
I tried with Bsp 2.7b4 and 2.8b1 setting the uboot parameters from Linux and it was working. Have you done any changes to the image before installing it? Could you share the complete dmesg log in a text file? Thanks.

I am coming back to this after holidays. Sorry for being offline. I changed the image.json and set autoinstall to ture (works perfect) and I changed wrapup.sh and added the “reboot –f” command (doesn’t work, screen remains black after installation, I have to cycle Power). Both changes are described in the Detailed Manual of Easy Installer.

At the moment the boards are shipped for application tests, but I hope to get new boards soon, to have a look at the dmesg log.

Thanks for your support. I appreciate that very much.

@Oliver
Welcome back. Could you please ask a new question with the details of the issue? Thanks.