Problem with U-Boot compilation and update for iMX6

I am trying to update the device tree for using the Colibri iMX6DL with a capacitive display and I’m going through the steps in the Build U-Boot and Linux Kernel from Source Code instructions to see if I can get it to work. Everything is appearing to work fine until I get to the U-boot configuration section.

The instructions where it says I need to have the sysroot defined do no work. I am getting the following error when I run the command make CC='arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc --sysroot=${HOME}/oe-core/build/out-glibc/sysroots/colibri-vf'.

make: arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc: Command not found

I’m obviously missing something here.

I’m also having a problem with the command cp ~/u-boot-toradex/u-boot.imx /media///. I’m getting the following error because the file does not exist under the u-boot-toradex folder.

cannot stat '/home/chemtrac/u-boot-toradex/u-boot.imx':  No such file or directory.

Can you give me an idea of why the file u-boot.imx was not created? Everything appeared to extract and install in previous commands, so I’m not sure what I might have missed.

Thanks.

The instructions where it says I need to have the sysroot defined do no work.

This only applies in case you opted for the second option using the alternative toolchain from a previous OpenEmbedded build as explained here.

I am getting the following error when I run the command make CC='arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc --sysroot=${HOME}/oe-core/build/out-glibc/sysroots/colibri-vf'.

make: arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc: Command not found

I’m obviously missing something here.

Yes, you should have installed and configured your toolchain before as noted in above given link.

I’m also having a problem with the command cp ~/u-boot-toradex/u-boot.imx /media///. I’m getting the following error because the file does not exist under the u-boot-toradex folder.

cannot stat '/home/chemtrac/u-boot-toradex/u-boot.imx':  No such file or directory.

Can you give me an idea of why the file u-boot.imx was not created? Everything appeared to extract and install in previous commands, so I’m not sure what I might have missed.

Well, u-boot.imx should get built but as you do not have the toolchain setup properly it failed doing that.

Thanks.

You are very welcome.

Note that if you built the 2016.11 U-Boot you now get two binaries, SPL and u-boot.img. These two replace SPL and u-boot.imx-spl on the SD card.

While this is briefly mentioned, we are in the process of updating the web page to reflect that better.

Well, I feel like an idiot…again.

I just discovered that I used the wrong U-Boot git branch (2016.11-toradex) for my image version (2.6).

Thanks for the help.