Problem with 10.1" capacitive touch and Apalis iMX6 on Ixora v1.1

Hi, I’ve a 10.1" capacitive touch display connected to an Ixora board on X24 connector, the Apalis iMX6 is running QT software demo. I can’t figure out how to turn on the touch inputs, i try to follow this steps “First Steps with Capacitive Touch Display 7" Parallel | Toradex Developer Center” and also looking here “https://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/interfacing-7-inch-parallel-capacitive-touchscreen-using-ixora-apalis-carrier-board”, but nothing. I had not tried to recompile device tree because i wasn’t able to find the .dtsi files, also the ‘make’ function is not found as the apt-get. This is what shows up at boot

"--- [  OK  ] Started Journal Service.
[    4.223300] atmel_mxt_ts 1-004a: __mxt_read_reg: i2c transfer failed (-6)
[    4.230501] atmel_mxt_ts 1-004a: mxt_bootloader_read: i2c recv failed (-6)
[    4.237585] atmel_mxt_ts 1-004a: Trying alternate bootloader address
[    4.244651] atmel_mxt_ts 1-004a: mxt_bootloader_read: i2c recv failed (-6) ---

Any idea on how to make it work?

Hi @Phayro and Welcome to the Toradex Community!

Could you provide the version of the Hardware (including Carrier Board) and Software ( uname -a ) of your module?

the Apalis iMX6 is running QT software demo.

Which QT Software demo are you using?

I’ve a 10.1" capacitive touch display connected to an Ixora board on X24 connector

Could you share a picture of the connection to the display? Which display are you using?

Best regards,
Jaski

Carrier board is an Ixora v1.1, Software version is

(uname -a) is (Linux b2qt-apalis-imx6 4.9.144-2.8.5+g5758a8e648a3 #1 SMP Wed Jul 31 21:08:01 UTC 2019 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux).

The QT demo is the last one, 5.13.1 i think, and the display is this one:

The connection with the touch cable should be right.
Thanks

Any idea of what can it be?

Hi @Phayro

To exclude any hardware or connection faults, could you install the LXDE image on the module and share the dmesg file ( dmesg > dmesg.txt ) in a text file?
Thanks.

Hi,
here’s the dmesg file, as i mentioned before i notice that the i2c fail while loading the touch driver (could it be? or am I wrong?).
link text
Thank you!

Hi @Phayro

Thanks for the log. As you said the i2c communication is failing. I will try to reproduce this issue and come back soon to you.

Best regards,
Jaski

Dear @Phayro

I tried to reproduce your problem for me the I2C communication works fine. Can you maybe take a picture on how you wired the display to the Ixora? Specially the connector at the back of the display is a little bit strangeenter code here… The driver should show the following:

atmel_mxt_ts 1-004a: Falling back to user helper
atmel_mxt_ts 1-004a: Touchscreen size X1279Y799
atmel_mxt_ts 1-004a: Family: 164 Variant: 11 Firmware V1.2.AA Objects: 41

BTW: Did you modify the devictree or were you able to bring-up the display without modification?

Regards,
Stefan

Hi, thank you for the support.
To use the display i set via kernel the output of the board using the setenv vidargs to out on ldb, that just worked for me.
link text
I’ve tried all the way wiring of the touch cable, here’s the actual one, but every other possibile way gives me same result. (I also checked that the cable wasn’t broken)

Dear @Phayro

Thanks for the feedback! The Touch cable (the small one) has to be the other way around on the display side as shown here:
1842-con5.jpg

On the Ixora it looks good. Can you anyway check if this helps?

Regards,
Stefan

Hi, I’ve tried it before but same result and same output. I may try to install another image? Or could it be a driver problem?
(Also, i wasn’t able to change the device tree state to ‘okay’, dk if this matter)
Thanks

Hi @Phayro

I assume it should be okay because at least the driver outputs some message. Can you maybe measure the I2C signal with an oscilloscope? Do you see some clock and data signals?

Regards,
Stefan