Prepare Image of Toradex Easy Installer to boot from TFTP / NFS

Is there a posibility to prepare the existing Image (I found only TEZI format) of the “Toradex Easy Installer” in that way that it can be booted from TFTP / NFS?

Hello @ah4711,

Dlashing images using Toradex Easy Installer is the recommended method of flashing. Could you please tell why you would rather like to boot from TFTP/NFS?

Nevertheless, here is an article that describes what you are looking for: Boot from a TFTP/NFS Server | Toradex Developer Center

and also,

Hope this helps!

Best regards, Janani

Hi Janani

We have a really deep embedded Apalis/Carrier-Board. The only available connections are the serial and the Lan port. All USB-ports are not reachable. This layout was made to use the “legacy flashing method”. In these days we didn’t know, that this flashing method will become “legacy”.
Now we should flash a new Image. Of course we would prefere to use the actuel Yocto/Toradex/Boot2Qt-Image.
Our idee now is to create a “state of the art” Image in the TEZI-format and load it with your ToradexEasyInstaller. Just as you propose. The problem now is to start this ToradexEasyInstaller. We already have a Custom-Image on the Apalis. Because we can NOT load this ToradexEasyInstaller via USB-OTG we try it by “Booting from TFTP / NFS”. As soon as we have ToradexEasyInstaller running we can flash what we want.

I already was able to boot an actual Image (Apalis-IMX6_Reference-Multimedia-Image-Tezi_5.2.0_build.7) with your above mentioned method ( Boot from a TFTP/NFS Server | Toradex Developer Center). There were two xxx.tar.xz. One for the /srv/tftp and one for the /srv/nfs/rootfs.

Unfortunately I found no way to prepare the ToradexEasyInstaller -Image in the same way to boot from TFTP / NFS.

Hi @ah4711 , it is possible for Apalis iMX6 to load toradex easy installer itself from TFTP server. You need a customized boot script boot.scr and the binary tezi.itb on your TFTP server.
The boot.scr is built from boot.cmd. Here is an example of boot.cmd

setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 quiet video=DPI-1:640x480D video=HDMI-A-1:640x480-16@60D video=LVDS-1:d video=VGA-1:640x480-16@60D rootfstype=squashfs root=/dev/ram autoinstall ${teziargs}

# Reenable fdt relocation since in place fdt edits corrupt the ramdisk
# in a FIT image...
setenv fdt_high

# Load FIT image from location as detected by distroboot
tftp ${ramdisk_addr_r} ${prefix}tezi.itb

bootm ${ramdisk_addr_r}

And build with mkimage

$ mkimage -A arm -O linux -T script -C none -a 0 -e 0 -n "Distro Boot Script" -d boot.cmd boot.scr

After ipaddress and serverip are specified in u-boot, you can just run run bootcmd_dhcp.
Here are boot.scr and boot.cmd if you want a quick test.

Thank you very much. The quick test was successful.

Do you know how to load the tezi_config.json from the same tftp server? So that I can point the easy installer to my feed server

Hello @jesvinonnet , welcome to the community.
Since this topic has already been marked as solved, could you please post your question in separate thread?

Best regards,
Josep

Done.
How to load tezi_config.json from tftp server along with boot.scr - Technical Support - Toradex Community