Plymouth is not displaying anything on the capacitive 7" display with colibri imx8x

Hi,

I am using capacitive touch 7" with colibri imx8x. pslash is working great. I can change the logo. But when I try to use the plymouth, I still see the boot log. No splash screen is displaying. I follow the below link,

How to Add a Custom Splash Screen (Linux) | Toradex Developer Center

I tried to integrate this on my custom image and also with the toradex reference multimedia image and minimal image. Everything shows the same result. I use the kirkstone release. Is there is anything additional I need to configure to make this work?

Hello @jesvinonnet,

Thanks for reaching out.

I am using capacitive touch 7" with colibri imx8x. pslash is working great. I can change the logo.
May I know in which version of BSP did you get the custom splash screen working?

If you follow this article, you should be able to build a tdx-reference-multimedia-image (for BSP 6) with Plymouth and it should show the custom splash screen. Did you get any error messages while building the image? If so could you please share them with us?

Hi @rudhi.tx,

I followed the article as it is. There were no build errors and I can in the boot log that the plymouth is trying to display the splash screen.

But I can’t see anything on the display. I also noticed that the plymouth start at the end of the boot process. With the psplash, everything works fine. Any additional configuration I am missing with plymouth?

Hi @rudhi.tx ,

Hope you are doing well. Do we have any update on this?

Hi @jesvinonnet,

Sorry for the delay in answering! I could not reproduce the issue that you are facing. I tried with the same Hardware setup as yours.
As I mentioned earlier, if you build a tdx-reference-multimedia-image (for BSP 6) with the recipe for Plymouth, it should just work fine as it did for me. Could you please share the output of tdx-info command so that I could compare our software and hardware configuration?

Hi @rudhi.tx ,

Thank you for the reply. I just fetched latest sources of the tdx-reference-multimedia-image and created a new image out of it. Now it is working fine. That was surprise. Then I rebuild by custom image after fetching the latest commit of all dependent layers. Then the plymouth started showing the splash screen. Don’t know which package was causing the issue before. There were lot of change in most of the layers between the date I created this ticket and now. Anyway I am posting the tdx-info below. Thanks for the help.

Software summary
------------------------------------------------------------
Bootloader:               Unknown
Kernel version:           5.15.129-6.5.0-devel+git.c994561e08e2 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 24 13:33:37 UTC 2023
Kernel command line:      root=PARTUUID=490bab11-02 ro rootwait video=imxdpufb5:off video=imxdpufb6:off video=imxdpufb7:off
Distro name:              NAME="TDX Wayland with XWayland"
Distro version:           VERSION_ID=1.0.0
Hostname:                 colibri-imx8x

Hardware info
HW model:                 Toradex Colibri iMX8DX on Colibri Evaluation Board V3
Toradex version:          0052 V1.0D
Serial number:            14714374
Processor arch:           aarch64

Let me know if you need any more details.

Hi @jesvinonnet,

Glad to hear that it’s working now. If you tried it with the tdx-reference-minimal-image before, it wouldn’t work. Plymouth is supposed to work with the multimedia image.

Hi @rudhi.tx,

Ok. But I tried on both. Now it is working on my custom image as well. Didn’t change anything. Just fetched the latest sources. Thanks for the support.

Hi @rudhi.tx ,

Did you also try the shutdown and reboot splash screen? Is there anything we need to do additionally to enable them?

Hi @jesvinonnet,

The splash screen should work with shutdown and reboot. You don’t have to do anything special to enable it. Are you facing some issues there?

Hi @rudhi.tx,

Yes. It is not showing the shutdown and reboot splash screen with the multimedia image. I still see the shutdown log on the screen. In the log, I can see that Plymouth is trying to show the power down screen. But still see the below log.

Hi @rudhi.tx ,

Hope you are doing well.

Did you get time to check the shutdown and reboot splash screen?

Hello @jesvinonnet,

The splash screen works while booting up for sure. Could you please confirm if that works for you?
I am still working on getting the shut-down splash screen working.

Hi @rudhi.tx ,

Yes, the boot splash screen is working. But I had to add a sleep service to see it. When I compare the plymouth with pslpash, the psplash starts bit early in the boot process and I was able to see it in proper way while the boot process completes, but for plymouth, it starts very late int the boot proces and I had to add a delay service to view it for some time. But that is delaying the boot process. If I didn’t add the delay service, then the boot process complete soon the plymouth starts. This behaviour is with my custom image. It is a very basic image. Then I think what is the use of plymouth splash screen with it. But psplash works great. Do you have a different behaviour with it?

Looking forward for your output on the shutdown and reboot splash screen.

Hello @jesvinonnet,

You are right. I also did not get the shut-down splash screen working on the multimedia image. I am discussing this internally with our experts to see where the issue is. It must be a configuration that needs to be enabled on one of the services related to Plymouth. I will let you know as soon as I have an answer.

May I ask why you are trying to get the shut-down splash screen? Is it important for your application?

1 Like

yes. We want to display the company logo while shutting down.

@jesvinonnet,

Thanks for your reply. Our R&D team is investigating this issue and I will let you know as soon as we have some news on this topic.

1 Like