Please enable the can_isotp module

Please enable the can_isotp module in the official linux images. Since CAN is already enabled, all that is necesary is to set CONFIG_CAN_ISOTP=m. It would also be nice if it loaded on boot.

This is a new post as requested here: Isotp kernel modul - #5 by jeremias.tx

Hi @abferm ,

Can you confirm the SoM you’re going to use with this kernel module? Verdin iMX8M Mini as you tagged this topic?

Once the request is made it shouldn’t take more than a few days for it to be analyzed by the team. If approved the kernel module will be available in our TorizonCore 6 images, starting from the nightly builds.

Best regards,
Lucas Akira

Yes, we are planning on using Verdin iMX8M Mini Quad 2GB IT (PN: 59) or possibly Verdin iMX8M Mini Quad 2GB Wi-Fi / Bluetooth IT (PN: 55).

Hi @abferm ,

I’ve made the request to the TorizonCore team. I’ll let you know in this topic if there are any updates related to the kernel module.

Best regards,
Lucas Akira

Hi @abferm ,

Your request has been accepted and the config option is now enabled in today’s nightly build of TorizonCore 6. I tested this on an Apalis iMX8, but this should also be valid for the Verdin iMX8M Mini.

torizon@apalis-imx8-06543292:~$ sudo tdx-info --software

Software summary
------------------------------------------------------------
Bootloader:               U-Boot
Kernel version:           5.15.77-6.3.0-devel+git.e6282b64a834 #1-TorizonCore SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 7 08:31:13 UTC 2023
Kernel command line:      pci=nomsi root=LABEL=otaroot rootfstype=ext4 quiet logo.nologo vt.global_cursor_default=0 plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles splash fbcon=map:3 ostree=/ostree/boot.1/torizon/8eb36fec9cedebb53afec3e16578e649f0232ea10d6c28802e197ebe7227899e/0
Distro name:              NAME="TorizonCore"
Distro version:           VERSION_ID=6.3.0-devel-20230614-build.300
Hostname:                 apalis-imx8-06543292
------------------------------------------------------------
torizon@apalis-imx8-06543292:~$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i CAN_ISOTP
CONFIG_CAN_ISOTP=m
torizon@apalis-imx8-06543292:~$

Best regards,
Lucas Akira

Hi @lucas_a.tx , this is unrelated to the can_isotp module. But I’m curious why your kernel commandline includes “pci=nomsi”. If that works around some problem, we should be able to fix the kernel so the parameter is no longer needed.

@bjorn_helgaas we were investigating this the other day and it seems that this kernel parameter is a remnant from the past. We tried removing it while working with a customer and it did not have any side effects in that specific case.

I think our latest images don’t include this by default anymore, but in some circumstances, our image installer can bring back command line parameters from older BSP installs (it’s a known issue we’re going to correct in due time).

Now that you confirm that it shouldn’t be necessary we’ll keep an eye on it and will surely report if we find any case where this is still necessary.

Thank you for your input on this!
Rafael